Saturday, June 15, 2019

Review: Strength (Curse of the Gods #4) by Jaymin Eve & Jane Washington

Title: Strength
Series: Curse of the Gods #4
Author: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Publisher: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Published: July 20, 2018
Pages: 275
Genres: Fantasy, New Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Reverse Harem
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Willa Knight: Dead? Alive? Damned to a state of eternal bad luck?

Willa and the Abcurse brothers are back, and more determined than ever to stick by each other. Unfortunately, Staviti has other plans, plans that threaten to change the natural order of the worlds—though nobody really understands why. His agenda may very well affect all beings on Minatsol, even those that thought themselves safe in Topia. Even Willa-invincible-Knight. 

Unsure with her new place in the worlds, Willa must follow the Abcurses to their new post: Champions Peak, a secluded mountain far from civilization, where the most powerful sols have been summoned to hone their abilities through direct contact with the gods. 

There is a chance that she might survive her time on the mountain, but it seems like staying alive amidst the powerful occupants of the Peak is the least of her concerns. 

Her real problem is staying on the mountain at all. 



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I was so delighted by this book! This series is one that has really surprised me in such an awesome way. I didn't really have many expectations going into this series. This series is my very first venture into the reverse harem phenomenon and I admit that I was a little intimidated to read the series. I didn't really know what to expect, but my overall consensus was not entirely positive. I thought that I would be put off by the content because of the romance aspect. I didn't know if it was for me. And in all honesty, with the wrong premise/storyline a reverse harem book may not be for me. This book series has a very lighthearted feel to it. It is filled with humor and the absurdity of so many things is glossed over with entertaining characters and an interesting plot. I feel like if it had been too serious then I would not have enjoyed it as much as I have thus far.

The plot really gets kicked up a notch in this fourth book in the series. So many things are happening and so many new things are brought to light. I like that some of the things that we see answer some of our questions but also make us ask some more questions. I have a general idea where the main plot point is going in the story, but there are still so many variables out there that I could be totally wrong and I really love that. There is nothing that I hate more than a book that is 100% predictable. This book series constantly keeps me guessing. 

The world-building in this is good and it builds off of the world-building in past books. We do get a little bit more history about Staviti and the creation of the gods, as well as a look into the dweller monarchy prior to the gods. The world-building in this series is not overly detailed, but there is enough information to enjoy the story. 

The characters in this series will make your heart thump in your chest. They have great chemistry and the dynamic between Willa and her five gods is electric! I love how Willa is growing so much as a character. She is dealing with so much internally and externally. She has her five gods and her relationship with all of them (which she has to keep on even ground between all of them), she has her friend Emmy, Cyrus is lurking about and she doesn't know if she can trust him, she has developed new powers and she doesn't know how to control them or where they came from, she has sols giving her the stink eye, her mother has been turned into a Topia server, and all while trying to hide from Staviti and Rau since they both want to kill her. This girl really has a lot on her plate and she handles it all with grace and bravery. The Abcurse brothers have had so much depth added to their characters with each book in the series. I loved seeing more of Emmy in this book! Finally!

The romance was so much better in this book than the last book! Willa finally gets to level the playing field and keep things even between her five gods. And if I'm being honest, Coen is my favorite, so...yeah. I adored when the Abcurse brothers told her that they love her and how they always show her as much. Not just in sex, but in everything they do. The slow-burn romance in this series is amazing. I love that she forms a bond with them before anything sexual happens. I also loved the hint of romance between Cyrus and Emmy. I hope that plays out. They are too cute!

Overall, this book was such an incredible installment of the series! I am on the edge of my seat practically foaming at the mouth for the next book! It is released in three weeks and I don't know if I can wait that long! The days will be eating away at my soul!  I definitely recommend this series! Anyone that enjoys a light fantasy read with humor, an interesting plot, dynamic characters, and electric romantic chemistry will enjoy reading this series!


Check out my review for the first book in this series!

Trickery (Curse of the Gods #1)


Find my review here.

Persuasion (Curse of the Gods #2)


Find my review here.

Seduction (Curse of the Gods #3)


Find my review here.


Though I still feel like this Reverse Harem thing is absurd, I can't deny that I am still entertained. What are your thoughts on Reverse Harem books? What summer reads are you looking forward to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design