Thursday, June 13, 2019

Review: Persuasion (Curse of the Gods #2) by Jaymin Eve & Jane Washington

Title: Persuasion
Series: Curse of the Gods #2
Author: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Publisher: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Published: May 30, 2017
Pages: 386
Genres: Fantasy, New Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Reverse Harem
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Willa Knight: Dweller? Bad-ass? Notorious pet to five magical beings? 

In Blesswood, there are rules, and someone is trying to teach her how to follow them. The only problem is Willa. Which shouldn’t be anything new, since she has been a problem since birth—something her pseudo-sister Emmy would agree on. 

So it definitely shouldn’t be new … but it is. 

Because things are starting to happen that have never happened before. 

Things are starting to get …chaotic. 



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

The books in this series are so entertaining! I have no idea how a book full of such absurd things could have me flipping the pages so quickly. It must have something to do with the reverse harem aspect of the books in this series. I am all for polyamorous relationships. I understand that. But one girl and five guys that are brothers seems to be beyond the bounds of reality. And the funny thing is that I don't care in the slightest. If anything, I welcome the absurdity of it all because it works in this series. And I am sure as hell enjoying it. I don't know what that says about my depraved mind, but I'm going with it.

I think that one of the reasons why this series works so well is the characters. The bonds that are formed are magnificent. I love the relationship that Willa and the Abcurse brothers have formed. I love how it only seems to grow with every page. I love that there is humor throughout and that their relationship is full of ease and familiarity. I love Willa's headstrong character. I identify with her on so many levels. I love that she is clumsy, brash, and opinionated. I love the personalities of each of the Abcurse brothers and what they bring to the group dynamic. Their characters are developing just as much as Willa's. The only thing that I would have liked to see more of it Emmy. She is Willa's sister so you would think that she would spend more time with her or check in on her more. I know that the Abcurse brothers are taking up all her time, but if it was my sister I would not abandon her for five attractive gods. (Not entirely anyway. =P) And I am curious about Cyrus's character. He kind of seemed like a douchebag at times, but it also seemed like Willa humored him a little. He didn't seem all that bad, so I am eager to find out if he will play a bigger part in the story. 

I felt that the plot was much more developed in this book than it was in Trickery. Though most of this happened in the second half of the book. The first half of the book didn't feel like the plot was doing much. I did like the adventure in this book though. I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen or what would be revealed. I was able to guess the main reveal at the end of the book, though I didn't guess the reasoning behind it. So there was a little predictability, but not all the cards were shown. 

The world-building in this book comes at the heels of Trickery, but there is a little more world-building in this one. We get to see more of Topia. I feel like the world-building in this series is just enough to get by though. I feel like I need more details about this world. I sometimes question what part of this world actually looks like or how something is even possible. Not everything is explained and that sometimes bothers me while reading. Again, there is enough world-building that you have a basic understanding of things. 

There is so much sexual tension in this book! The good kind. The kind that comes from befriending five hot gods and then being with them 24/7. I like that the sexual tension felt real, not some ridiculous lust nonsense. Willa has formed a bond with the five Abcurse brothers and their growing relationship is the driving force to the sexual tension, not just that everyone is attractive. There isn't any real intimacy in this book, apart from a little kissing. And even then, the kissing was usually for a purpose and not simply a declaration of love or feelings. 

I like that this book isn't totally fluff and nonsense. There is character progression and enough of a plot to make things interesting. This series is my first adventure in the reverse harem genre and I thought that there would be smut at every turn, and this series isn't that at all. It is a series that is obviously written with the reverse harem aspect at the forefront, but there is more to the series as well. It may not have a serious tone like an epic fantasy or be entirely believable like a contemporary, but it still works. 

Overall, I am totally enjoying this series! If you love a lighthearted fantasy series that will entertain you and make your heart flutter a bit then I'd recommend this series. If you liked the first book then I have no doubt that you'll like this one even more. If you don't take this series too seriously there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in reading it. I am very impressed with this series so far and I can't wait to dive in further.


Check out my review for the first book in this series!

Trickery (Curse of the Gods #1)


Find my review here.


I have come to the conclusion that this brand of Reverse Harem is a definite guilty pleasure. The absurdity of the circumstances is too great, but I cannot deny that the story is entertaining nonetheless. Have you ever read a Reverse Harem story? What is the last book that you finished?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design