Saturday, June 22, 2019

Review: Muffin Top (The Hartigans #2) by Avery Flynn

Title: Muffin Top
Series: The Hartigans #2
Author: Avery Flynn
Publisher: Entangled: Amara
Published: October 29, 2018
Pages: 320
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, Adult
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
The only thing about me that’s a size zero is the filter on my mouth. I’ve got a big personality, a big rack, and a big number on the scale. And I’m perfectly fine with that.

But when some random guy suggests I might not be eating alone if I’d ordered a salad instead of a hamburger I’m shocked silent, which is a feat, trust me.

That brings us to one sexy fireman named Frankie Hartigan. He’s hot. He’s funny… And he’s just apologized for being late for our “date” then glared at the fat-shaming jerk. Next thing I know, he’s sitting down and ordering himself dinner.

I have no problem telling him I don’t need a pity date… unless of course it’s to my high school reunion next week. Oops where did that last bit come from? And what do I do now that he’s said yes?!

Because this is no make-over story, and I think Frankie is using me for something. I just have to figure out what…



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

This is my first time reading an adult contemporary romance. Shocking, I know. I will be completely honest, the only reason that I picked this book up is because it was about a plus size girl and I thought that I could relate since I am one myself. I read an excerpt online and it made me giggle so I grabbed a copy of this and jumped right in. I wasn't disappointed. I loved every moment. I read this in one sitting.

Contemporaries are much different from my regular fantasy reads. The world-building is on a much smaller scale. While there was not an elaborate fantasy world to describe, I still felt that the world-building was adequate for the story being told. I never felt disconnected from the world that the characters live in. Every scene was atmospheric with the perfect amount of detail. 

I loved the plot. I definitely connected with it. While I am not saying that it was completely unbelievable, it does fall into that range of one-in-an-unreasonably-large-number chance of happening. Now I am not saying that all super hot guys are douchebags that couldn't see a larger girl as attractive or that one couldn't fall in love with a larger girl, but the odds are just low in today's society. Regardless, I still found the plot to be entertaining, charming, and heartwarming. I definitely couldn't put the book down.

I loved the characters. They were very well written. Both of the main characters had flaws that made them very real. They also exhibited likable characteristics that made them well rounded and very three-dimensional. I also liked the side characters and what they brought to the story.

The romance was heartwarming. I loved it. The two main characters had such incredible chemistry and I loved their dynamic. The intimate scenes were hot and the romantic scenes were touching. Watching them fall in love while battling their own demons was absorbing. I was turning the pages like a madwoman because I couldn't get enough of them. I am almost sad that this was their own contained little story. I wish it could go on.

Overall, I was impressed by this book. I honestly didn't have many expectations going into this book, but I wasn't expecting to love it so much. I am going to go back and read the previous book in this series about another couple in the book and I expect to read the third book about another couple when it releases next year. I may even go back and read some of Flynn's backlog. I feel like I would be picky about contemporary books, but if her other books are anything like this one then I have no doubt that I'll fall in love with them just as much as I did with this one. I definitely recommend this book to lovers of adult contemporary romance.

Check out my review for the first book in this series!

Butterface (The Hartigans #1)


Find my review here.


I  actually only picked up this book for two reasons. One: I read an excerpt online and it made me laugh. Two: this book is about a plus size girl like myself. I don't often read excerpts for books because I can't stand getting a little taste and then having to wait to read the rest. But this one made me want to read the book immediately so I suppose I can attest to their affectiveness. Do you like reading excerpts of books before their release to get an idea of the story?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design