Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Review: Paper Princess (The Royals #1) by Erin Watt

Title: Paper Princess
Series: The Royals #1
Author: Erin Watt
Publisher: Timeout LLC
Published: April 4, 2016
Pages: 370
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult, New Adult
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
From strip clubs and truck stops to southern coast mansions and prep schools, one girl tries to stay true to herself.

These Royals will ruin you…

Ella Harper is a survivor—a pragmatic optimist. She’s spent her whole life moving from town to town with her flighty mother, struggling to make ends meet and believing that someday she’ll climb out of the gutter. After her mother’s death, Ella is truly alone. 

Until Callum Royal appears, plucking Ella out of poverty and tossing her into his posh mansion among his five sons who all hate her. Each Royal boy is more magnetic than the last, but none as captivating as Reed Royal, the boy who is determined to send her back to the slums she came from.

Reed doesn’t want her. He says she doesn’t belong with the Royals.

He might be right.

Wealth. Excess. Deception. It’s like nothing Ella has ever experienced, and if she’s going to survive her time in the Royal palace, she’ll need to learn to issue her own Royal decrees.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I was completely absorbed by this book! OMG, I fell into it like Alice fell into a hole that led her to Wonderland. I licked up every word of this book and I still wasn't sated. This book was that addicting.

For a contemporary, this has some pretty legit (and I'm talking the Urban Dictionary definition, not the Webster's Dictionary definition) world-building. This story centers around people that are filthy stinking rich and I felt like I was right there with them. The small details and the apt descriptions of this world were exactly on the mark. 

The plot of this story set me on fire! My god, there is so much drama and I couldn't devour it fast enough! The awesome thing about this book is that it does drama right. And by that, I mean that it was believable. Most "drama" in books comes across as outlandish but in this book, it doesn't. It is totally fathomable and it really works. I really enjoyed the premise of the story and I really appreciate how captivating the storytelling is.

The characters in this book are freaking amazing! I felt so much for each and every one of them. Even the antagonists. All of the characters are written so masterfully. I love that most of these characters have extreme character flaws. It really makes them feel realistic. The chemistry between characters will have you on the edge of your seat with anticipation. It will devour you. The personalities of the characters are so animated that you can't help but to adore them all. 

The romance was extremely suspenseful. The romantic tension is so intense that if it were measured on the Richter scale then entire countries would be lost. This is the hate-to-love romance of my dreams. I like how the guy has real reasons to justify his hatred towards the girl in the beginning. I like that things are not black and white. Things are messy and the romance reflects that. It really will burn you right up.

I thought that it is worth mentioning that this book is about teenagers in high school between the ages of about 16-18 and they are doing some very adult things. There are some younger characters and at least one older character, but in general, these are high school kids. This may be about high school kids, but this book is written like a new adult book. There are some VERY adult things going on. I don't think that I would feel comfortable with my twelve-year-old reading this. Just saying.

Overall, this book pretty much blew my mind with how much I loved it! After reading some reviews I was on the fence about how my overall impression would be once I read the book. I initially had the feeling that the romance would not be something that I would enjoy, but I was shocked that it was the opposite reaction. I certainly recommend this book. I this is the kind of book that you should maybe ignore other opinions on and just read for yourself. I would have missed out on an incredible read if I had listened to other reviewers on this one. This book does contain some pretty serious themes so if you are sensitive to heavy topics then I would skip over this one. I will be starting the next book immediately!


This book had me completely mesmerized. What was the last book to have this effect on you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design