Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Review: Renegades (Hotbloods #3) by Bella Forrest

Title: Renegades
Series: Hotbloods #3
Author: Bella Forrest
Publisher: Nightlight Press
Published: February 10, 2018
Pages: 398
Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Reunite with Navan and Riley in Renegades, the heartpounding third book of the bestselling Hotbloods series.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I am really enjoying this series. I liked this book much more than the previous book. So far this series is in the mid-range for me. It's not spectacular, but it isn't bad. 

I am really liking the way that the plot is going in the series. In Renegades, more things are happening and the storyline is constantly moving forward. I think that perhaps the pacing could use work, though not really in the way you would think. The pacing works in this book, but I feel that more should be happening. Like combining two books from this series into one would totally fix things. The books in this series are very fast-paced, which isn't a bad thing. I think that it may just be my preference. I don't like the plot to drag on in a book, but when things are too fast-paced things can start to lose emotion and sometimes things become unrealistic. I still think that the premise of this series is very good. I like the originality. 

I am liking the character development for Riley. She seems to be growing and learning and trying to do everything that she can to save Earth and prevent anything from happening to her parents. The other characters don't feel like they have a lot of growth. They feel like they are staying the same. Navan has minimal growth. In the first book he was definitely robotic so that has changed. He isn't emotionless now, but I still wish that he felt more real. Bashrik, Angie, and Lauren also feel like they are staying the same. I would like to see more emotion where they are concerned. Something from their past that defines them or something happening now that would display a powerful characteristic. Anything. If I am being honest, I just don't feel any emotional attachment to these characters. Which is a shame because they have a lot of potential. The author needs to find a way to make me care about the characters instead of just being entertained by the story.

The world-building is about the same in this book as in Coldbloods. The characters are still on Vysanthe. The world-building isn't necessarily atmospheric, but there are enough details to get the general idea of places and situations. To me, it felt like being told a story instead of being immersed inside of it. The difference between being in a character's shoes and hearing about their journey. I personally like a plethora of details while reading a book, but I think that most people would be okay with the world-building in this book.

The romance between Riley and Navan is cute. I think that is the best way to describe it. It doesn't feel all consuming the way that I was hoping it would. They do finally become intimate in this book, but it was a little disappointing to me. I wasn't feeling it. I think that their romance could be so much more. I don't feel like I care enough about it. It has potential to be incredible, but there isn't enough emotion to make things feel real. I like the emerging romance between Bashrik and Angie. Not much has happened thus far, but at least it is entertaining. I am rooting for them. And I am hoping that the author can wiggle in some more emotion with Riley and Navan. I so want to love their romance, but it isn't doing it for me yet. -sigh-

Overall, this is an entertaining read in a series that has a lot of potential. Even though there are many things that I think could be improved in this series, I am still reading it. I am still interested and that has to mean something. I definitely think that this series is worth reading. If you enjoy fast-paced paranormal stories then I think you'd enjoy this.


Check out my reviews for the other books in this series!

Hotbloods (Hotbloods #1)


Find my review here.

Coldbloods (Hotbloods #)


Find my review here.


The cover of this book is one that I fell in love with. I love the execution of the imagery. What are some of your favorite covers lately? What have you added to your TBR pile recently?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design