Sunday, June 9, 2019

Review: Coldbloods (Hotbloods #2) by Bella Forrest

Title: Coldbloods
Series: Hotbloods #1
Author: Bella Forrest
Publisher: Nightlight Press
Published: December 30, 2017
Pages: 404
Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Continue Navan and Riley's EPIC journey in Book 2 of the Hotbloods series.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

This book was marginally better than the first book of this series. I found the first book okay- not bad, but not great either. I would say this one was a smidge above that. 

I found that the plot was much better in this follow-up to Hotbloods. The sequence of events was smoother and more natural. There wasn't a huge feeling of implausibility in this book that I felt in the first book. Granted, the plot twist was already out of the bag in the second book and I was already used to it so that part didn't really come into play in this book. The story definitely kept me curious and wanting to read more to find out what would happen. 

I thought that the characters were still not as solid as they could be, but I have to admit that they weren't nearly as annoying in this book as the last one. I just don't really feel connected to these characters, and I hate that. I shouldn't have to ask myself if I care about the characters. It should go without question. So I think that the character development could use some work. Not so much in their backstories, but in the way that they express themselves and show their personalities. There is a lack of emotion that is really doing them a disservice. 

I liked the world-building in this book much more than the last. In this book we start out on Earth, but most of the book is taken place on another planet. The planet of Vysanthe is described vividly with adequate descriptions of places and climate. I really got a good feel of the environment. 

The romance was okay. Nothing to write home about. Riley and Navan aren't hiding their feelings anymore, at least from themselves. It just feels like this book is a Young Adult book though. I was expecting a more mature romance since this is a New Adult book. The romance is very mild. I feel like the romantic scenes don't evoke enough emotion. It feels like they are just kissing to kiss. I need more heartwarming dialogue or expressions of their love. 

Overall, this book is better than its predecessor. Some of the issues that I had with the first book have been improved, even if only slightly. I am still going to continue the series and see where things go. If you like easy, breezy paranormal romance then you would most likely enjoy this book. If you are wanting something with complex characters or convincing romance then not so much. I would recommend this book though because it did entertain me.


Check out my reviews for the other books in this series!

Hotbloods (Hotbloods #1)


Find my review here.


This is a series that I felt has good concepts but lacks on the execution. What are some books that you feel have great ideas but fall flat or are just mediocre in the storytelling? What was the last book that you finished?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design