Monday, June 3, 2019

Review: The Crown Of Light (Lightness Saga #1) by Stacey Marie Brown

Title: The Crown Of Light
Series: Lightness Saga #1
Author: Stacey Marie Brown
Publisher: Twisted Fairy Publishing
Published: February 12, 2017
Pages: 479
Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
A war is brewing. 

Kennedy is one of the last known Druids. Wanted dead by the Seelie Queen and as a coveted asset to defeat this cruel ruler, Kennedy has become a mark. Especially by a sexy, merciless Dark Dweller, Lorcan Dragen. 

Kidnapped and taken prisoner, Kennedy’s life takes a dramatic turn, down a path she never imagined. Spending time with a man who killed her best friend’s mother and her friend, she knows he is not someone she should care about. But the longer she spends with her enemy, the more her feelings blur the line between what is right and wrong, what is true and what is not. 

As her magic grows, so does the shy, nerdy girl, and she soon realizes nothing on a list or in a book will prepare her for what is ahead. 

Even her own feelings.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I am going to be very blunt about this. When I read the Darkness series I liked Kennedy's character, but I had never imagined her in a main character role. She is not the type of female lead character that I gravitate towards. I love the feisty, unruly, loudmouthed, takes-no-shit, badass, tough, could-kick-your-ass female protagonists. Kennedy is not this at all, but I still loved this book. 

While Kennedy's character isn't quite as tough as Ember or Zoey, she still had her own defiance and strength. I loved seeing her grow as a character. The timid, cute, well-behaved girl from the Darkness series is gone. The new Kennedy was a pleasure to see unfold. Lorcan's character growth was even more extreme and incredible. I may have liked it even more than Kennedy's. Lorcan comes across as a villain in the Darkness series. This series really paints the picture that there are always two sides to every story. Nothing is black and white. Lorcan is all gray area. I love that Brown was able to warp my opinion of his character from something negative to absolute adoration. I honestly love his character just as much as Eli's. 

This is Kennedy's story and this book actually takes place during the same timeframe as the Darkness series. We are just getting to see Kennedy's story this time. I loved seeing things from her point of view. The plot from the Darkness series continues in this book since it occurs at the same time, but it feels more intimate since now we are seeing things from other points of view. We have more information this time around. The plot is very strong and the additional viewpoints add so much more to the story. More emotion and more urgency.

I loved the world-building in this. Brown adds enough details to really make you visualize the surroundings of the story. The world-building does build off of the Darkness series though. 

The romance in this book in incredible! I think that I almost liked it more than Ember and Eli's romance. At least, when I was reading this book it felt stronger. The chemistry between Kennedy and Lorcan was electric. I definitely loved the way that Kennedy and Lorcan came together. Yes, he kidnapped her and she was his prisoner, but they were able to grow close and get to know each other over the months they were together. The fact that Lorcan's motives are pretty misunderstood throughout the series plays a big part in Kennedy softening to him. Lorcan isn't good or evil and he is able to open up to Kennedy when no one else has been able to see that part of him. Kennedy was also able to feel more herself around him. The way that they fell in love was the perfect slow-burn hate-to-love romance and one of the best I've read in a while. 

I think that it is worth saying that this series is a continuation of the Darkness series by Stacey Marie Brown. If you have not read that series first then I can't imagine that you would get any of the references or have any clue what is going on. The scope of what is happening in the book is based off of things already discovered in the previous series. 

Overall, I was beyond impressed with this book! I wasn't sure that this book was going to surpass or live up to the Darkness series. I honestly wasn't sure that would like this book because I didn't connect with Kennedy's character as much in the Darkness series. I was sure that this book would fall flat for me, but it did not! I loved this book just as much, and for parts of me maybe even more, as the Darkness series! It was really an addictive read. I couldn't separate my eyes from this book. I devoured it! I highly recommend reading this book along with the Darkness series and the Collector series. This world is so captivating and you will love being sucked into it. With only a few more books left in this world, I am starting to feel anxious about ending it. I wish it could go on forever!


This book is the first book in a new series that is a continuation of a previous series. Do you enjoy book series that have different parts but connect? What books have you added to your TBR recently?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design