Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Review: Pain (Curse of the Gods #5) by Jaymin Eve & Jane Washington

Title: Pain
Series: Curse of the Gods #5
Author: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Publisher: Jaymin Eve, Jane Washington
Published: November 14, 2018
Pages: 376
Genres: Fantasy, New Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Reverse Harem
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Willa Knight: The saviour of both worlds, or the destruction of everything?

Sometimes history lies, and the tales of Minatsol and Topia are no different. Since the birth of Topia, Staviti has woven a web of deceit around the truth of Creation, striving only to maintain his power while destroying anything that got in his way. 

Now, Willa and the Abcurses are determined to strip back the layers, to uncover the truth, and to understand the true nature of the two worlds before it's too late. 

The only problem?

Any wrong step in their quest to restore balance might have terrible repercussions. Every single being--living or dead--might have to pay the price.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I found myself feeling a bit differently towards this book than I did with the previous books in the series. For some reason, it took me much longer to get through this last book when I read the other books in a single day. I just wasn't feeling it like I did with the other books. I suppose that I just have to chalk it up to being a mood reader. I read the previous books in less than a week and at the time I was really feeling light paranormal romance. At the time, the absurdities in the books didn't bother me hardly at all. I ran with them. This time around, the absurdities grated on my nerves and made things seem too unbelievable for comfort. Absurdities like a single girl being in a relationship with five brothers at the same time and having group sex with said five brothers for starters. I also felt the main character's personality bothered me heavily in this book where previously she could be a bit annoying but tolerable overall. I started out liking her strong personality but by the end, she seemed too superficial to me. Again, just a day in the life of a mood reader. Honestly, though, this series is like a guilty pleasure book series. One that is entertaining but you don't really take too seriously. I feel like if this book were a huge epic fantasy full of intense world-building and complex characters then I wouldn't be so jaded. Eh, it is what it is. I won't lie and say that I didn't have fun reading this series even though my mood changed for the last book. The writing in this book was just as good at the other books and the story was delightful overall. Just because my enjoyment was dampered on this last book, it doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the book itself. I don't want to sound like a downer because this book is entertaining and has its merits. Overall, I would recommend this series to those that can handle the reverse harem aspect of the series. If you are looking for a light fantasy read with plenty of steam then this series will be right up your alley.


Check out my review for the first book in this series!

Trickery (Curse of the Gods #1)


Find my review here.

Persuasion (Curse of the Gods #2)


Find my review here.

Seduction (Curse of the Gods #3)


Find my review here.

Strength (Curse of the Gods #4)


Find my review here.

Neutral (Curse of the Gods #4.5)


Find my review here.


After reading this series, I am confident that Reverse Harem books are stories that I MUST be in the mood for to enjoy. I read this series when all of the books apart from the last were already published. I had to wait a month for the last book to release, and when I read it I did not enjoy it as much as the others. I am definitely a mood reader. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it along with the others? Are you a mood reader? Do you find that you enjoy a book or a genre a lot and then when you read it at another time you just don't?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design