Friday, May 17, 2019

Review: Windwitch (The Witchlands #2) by Susan Dennard

Title: Windwitch
Series: The Witchlands #2
Author: Susan Dennard
Publisher: Tor Teen
Published: January 10, 2017
Pages: 384
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Audiobook, Ebook
~~~~~
Sometimes our enemies are also our only allies…

After an explosion destroys his ship, the world believes Prince Merik, Windwitch, is dead. Scarred yet alive, Merik is determined to prove his sister’s treachery. Upon reaching the royal capital, crowded with refugees, he haunts the streets, fighting for the weak—which leads to whispers of a disfigured demigod, the Fury, who brings justice to the oppressed.

When the Bloodwitch Aeduan discovers a bounty on Iseult, he makes sure to be the first to find her—yet in a surprise twist, Iseult offers him a deal. She will return money stolen from him, if he locates Safi. Now they must work together to cross the Witchlands, while constantly wondering, who will betray whom first?

After a surprise attack and shipwreck, Safi and the Empress of Marstok barely escape with their lives. Alone in a land of pirates, every moment balances on a knife’s edge—especially when the pirates’ next move could unleash war upon the Witchlands.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

My brain is whirling right now! I don't even know what to do with myself. Susan Dennard is brilliant! I don't know how I am going to wait for book three, Bloodwitch, to come out in January. 

The world that Dennard has dreamed up is perfection! Truly, it is. It is utterly vivid, detailed, and breathtaking. I felt myself living in this world right along with the characters. This world is complex and intricately crafted. The magic system in this series is by itself quite astounding. Add in the different empires and peoples, the political intrigue, and the lush environments and you have quite the sensory overload in all the best ways. 

The plot definitely gears up in this sequel to Truthwitch. I did feel that the story started off a bit slowly, but once it got going it wouldn't let up. I was constantly trying to guess the end game and I was constantly being surprised. The foreshadowing is placed really well. This book had me guessing the entire time. It was never predictable, which I loved! The sequence of events in the book and the plot as a whole are bloody brilliant. If I had to sum up the plot in one word it would be WOW.

I really loved the character development in this book. We get to know so many of the characters infinitely better in Windwitch. I also loved the addition of new characters and the way that their personalities added to the story. A theme in the book that came up more than once which I enjoyed is the gray area surrounding what a villain is or isn't. There were several characters that start out as a villain and end up as an ally and vice versa. It is all relative. I think that what I like best about this is that is made me think and question things like morals and what circumstance can make a person do or become. Many significant character journeys in Windwitch. I am eager to see how much farther they go in Bloodwitch. I am also eager to see more of the bonds between characters and what effect it will have on the story. 

Oddly, there wasn't really any romance in this book. Though there were plenty of bonds formed between characters and one or more may lead to romance down the line. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall, this book is fantastic! This book is full of action, intrigue, and emotion. If you love fantasy books with rich world-building, fascinating characters, and a plot that is to die for then you will love Windwitch! Once you enter The Witchlands you won't want to leave. 

This series had such a huge world with incredible world building. Which books can you think of that have great worlds? What are some new additions to your TBR?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design