Thursday, May 16, 2019

Review: The Perfect First (Fulton U #1) by Maya Hughes

Title: The Perfect First
Series: Fulton U #1
Author: Maya Hughes
Publisher: Maya Hughes
Published: April 25, 2019
Pages: 340
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
Persephone Alexander. Math genius. Lover of blazers. The only girl I know who can make Heidi braids look sexy as hell. And she’s on a mission. Lose her virginity by the end of the semester. 

I walked in on her interview session for potential candidates (who even does that?) and saw straight through her brave front. She’s got a list of Firsts to accomplish like she’s only got months to live. I’ve decided to be her guide for all her firsts except one. Someone’s got to keep her out of trouble. I have one rule, no sex. We even shook on it.

I’ll help her find the right guy for the job. Someone like her doesn’t need someone like me and my massive...baggage for her first time. 

Drinking at a bar. Check. 

Partying all night. Double check. 

Skinny dipping. Triple check. 

She’s unlike anyone I’ve ever met. The walls I’d put up around my heart are slowly crumbling with each touch that sets fire to my soul. 

I’m the first to bend the rules. One electrifying kiss changes everything and suddenly I don’t want to be her first, I want to be her only. But her plan was written before I came onto the scene and now I’m determined to get her to re-write her future with me.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

Please, sir, I want some more! Seriously, these characters and this adorable story blew me away. I wasn't expecting it to fill me with so many feels but I'm a goner. When I saw that there is another book in this series coming out this summer with another one of the characters from this book I was floored! I can't wait for it.

The premise for this story is adorable and had so many funny moments. I caught myself laughing out loud through some of the banter and situations at the beginning of the book. It was too perfect. I liked that while the premise leaves room for things on the lighter side like awkward moments and discovering new things and people, it also had some deeper rooted issued in the background that the characters had to overcome. 

The characters are so golden in this book. All of them. I loved Seph and Reece. They both had so much character growth. They both had their own family problems to deal with in the story. I liked the progression of both of their personal journeys. The side characters were just as amazing. I couldn't get enough of them. Many books have side characters as filler, but not this book. I wanted to see more of Reece's friends - Nix, Berk, and LJ. Even Marisa, LJ's friend. They all had personality in the little parts when we get to see them. I love how they openly and warmly accepted Seph into their friend group without question. Even before Seph and Reece started their relationship. I can't wait to hear their stories with the coming books in the series. I also liked that Graham, the potential guy that Seph had chosen to lose her virginity with prior to hanging out with Reece, turned out to be pretty decent. He wasn't bitter about Seph ghosting him and he wasn't an asshole. I assumed that he would be villainized in some way or turn out to be a jerk but he wasn't and I was glad for it. 

I also loved the family aspects seen in this book. We get to see two very different family dynamics. Reece and his beautiful family are the picture perfect family while Seph's family life was less than spectacular. Scary even. The domestic abuse aspect was only lightly touched upon in this and while I don't mind seeing some serious things in a book and prefer it that way to make things more real, the lighter touch worked well in this story. It was developed enough to get what was going on without being very triggering. 

The romance was hot, sweet, and amazing. It was everything! The chemistry between Seph and Reece was electric. They were so easy with each other from the beginning like they already belonged together. I loved experiencing all of Seph's firsts with the two of them. They seemed to bring out such wonderful things in each other. Seph helped Reece take down his emotional walls and Reece helped Seph come out of her naive shell and experience life. This is a slow-burn romance that will stay with me a long while.

Overall, my expectations were completely smashed to pieces with this book. It was amazing and I loved every moment. You can count on me to start stalking this author now because I am smitten with her writing. I can't wait for Nix's story this summer! I'm hooked!



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Let's Read Indie Challenge
- 2019 New Release Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
- Bad Boys of Romance Challenge
- Library Love Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


What was the last book that blew your expectations to smithereens? It's always nice when that happens, yes? What are some new additions to your TBR?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design