Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Review: The Sacred Knights (Secret Knights #3) by Mary Ting

Title: The Sacred Knights
Series: Secret Knights #3
Author: Mary Ting
Publisher: Mary Ting
Published: October 12, 2017
Pages: 265
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
The Chosen Knights think they’ve found all the clues, but the last one leads them to yet another destination. They astral travel back to the massive destruction of the Knights Templar and find a missing element. As they decipher the final puzzle piece, Cyrus continues to grow his army. 

A powerful volcano in Hawaii erupts, and inhabitants are forced to stay and fight the demons or flee. Many people once believed to be dead rise to help defeat Cyrus, and Venators arrive from Crossroads to help. Time is running out, and the Chosen Knights must decide to finish what they started or leave the battle to find the Snow Queen, who some believe is the only one who can defeat Cyrus.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 
Well, this was a splendid little series and I very much enjoyed it! This really was a solid ending to an exciting series.

What I love most about this book and the series as a whole is the interesting premise. A lot of authors tackle the angels and demons trope, but most of them do not really add anything new or interesting. Mary Ting has created an imaginative world surrounding this trope with new angles and creative ideas. I genuinely liked her take on angels and demons, and I am eager to read her other series in this world, Crossroads. The Secret Knights series is actually a spin-off series from Crossroads that is set in the future. It is not necessary to read the Crossroads series prior to this one, which I liked. 

The characters really take center stage with this series. There are quite a few characters and in the end, they all become like a little family. The chemistry between these characters is awesome. Some of the dialogue can be cheesy, but the interactions are overall enjoyable. There is a strong theme of friendship in this series, which I loved seeing. 

The plot of this story is really great. It kept me interested and trying to guess the endgame the entire time. I felt fully invested in the story. I loved the historical aspect when we get to see things from the past. 

I enjoyed the romance in the series. In the first book, I felt that the love interests come together a little too quickly, but it was never an instalove situation. I just prefer a more slow burn romance usually, but this is a fast-paced series. That said, I still rooted for the romantic couple through the whole series. I loved their interactions. 

The world-building was okay. Most of the book takes place in a modern-day setting so not as much detail is needed. In general, I would have liked more details. At times I didn't feel like I even knew what the characters actually looked like. There weren't adequate descriptions of physical characteristics. As a whole, I felt that the details were lacking in the descriptions of the world around the characters and the characters themselves.

I was expecting a little more from the ending. Everything is concluded, but in a more vague way than I care for. I like more details about what happens to the characters that I have come to care for. We get a general idea here, but I felt like I needed more closure. 

Overall, this is a great series! It is fun, fast-paced, and full of action. This series has an interesting premise, a believable romance, likable characters, and an exciting plot. I would definitely recommend this series. Especially if you are a fan of books concerning angels and demons.

This is one of those stories that ends in a good way but also a vague way. The conflict was taken care of but you don't really know how things truly stand with the main characters. Do you prefer these kinds of endings or do you like extended epilogues? What have you been reading lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design