Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Review: I'm Not in the Band by Amber Garza

Title: I'm Not in the Band
Author: Amber Garza
Publisher: Entangled Teen (Crush)
Published: June 12, 2017
Pages: 247
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
I like Kassidy Milton. There, I said it. She’s funny, beautiful—even though she doesn’t know it—and my favorite kind of weird. But I can’t tell if she’s into me or just trying to get close to me for a chance with my famous twin brother instead. I mean, it has to be me. I am the better-looking one. 

But Kassidy has some demons, and she’s not good at letting people in. That happens when you’ve been hurt by someone close to you. I can relate. Trust is a funny thing; it’s hard to gain but easy to lose. I might just learn that the hard way. 

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book includes a snarky heroine, a swoon-worthy hero, crazy best friends, your favorite music, and lots of feels.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers.

This was a cute book, but it lacked depth. I felt like this was just the bare bones of what a book should be. It's the difference between being told a story and living the story through the characters. It has just enough to make it a story, but not enough to make it memorable.

I loved the plot and the way that things played out overall, but I felt that there wasn't enough conflict. I think that if things had been stretched out over a longer period of time then it would have helped a bit. I also think that if Ross came back from his tour and actually spent time with Kassidy then it would have been the perfect addition to the story. Especially since they had so much in common. The premise of the book is great, but it's a little too fast-paced. 

I liked the characters for the most part, but I didn't ever really feel invested in them. There wasn't a point in the story where I felt connected to them. I did enjoy their interactions, but they were just way too underdeveloped. By the time Kassidy's big reveal happens, I hardly cared anymore. And to be honest, the big reveal was a little disappointing. I was expecting more. Archer was an adorable character, but he really could have used more depth as well. All in all, this book could have used a lot more drama, inciting events, and character development to fill things in. I did enjoy the POV format used. Kassidy's POV chapters were written in first person, but Archer's POV chapters are in text message and social media status update format. It really worked and I liked it a lot.

I will admit that Kassidy and Archer were quite adorable together. I did enjoy their dialogues and the romantic scenes, but they were total case of instalove which is my most hated thing to run across in a romance. They liked each other initially for no other real reason other than they both thought that the other looked hot. As things move along in the book they do enjoy each other's company, but they really don't have much in common. And Kassidy has a lot in common with Archer's brother, which I think could have been explored more. 

I loved all the family and friends in this. Kassidy and her sister have a great relationship. With her parents as well. Her mom cracked me up. Archer's family makes an appearance and Archer texts his family on the regular. Archer's friends, Mac and John, were great. I really liked Miranda's character as well, though I wish that she and Kassidy had really become better friends than just friends in their first class of the day. 

Overall, this wasn't a perfect book by any means but it was okay. If you enjoy fast-paced young adult contemporary stories with instalove then you'll breeze through this one. The book was entertaining enough while I was reading it but I don't think that it is something that will stick with me. 



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Tackle My TBR Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Lately, I've been wanting to read stories about musicians. Preferably rockstars, since rock music is my jam. This one had a really great premise but wasn't developed enough for my tastes. What other rockstar romances have you read or can you recommend? What have you added to your TBR lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design