Saturday, May 25, 2019

Review: The Barrier Between (Collector #2) by Stacey Marie Brown

Title: The Barrier Between
Series: Collector #2
Author: Stacey Marie Brown
Publisher: Stacey Marie Brown
Published: May 29, 2015
Pages: 416
Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
Zoey’s life has taken a dramatic turn. Only a few months ago she was a Collector working for the a secret part of the government called the Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG), tracking and collecting fae. Her life had been changing and improving with a partner she loved and a sister she adored.

Now all that is gone—Daniel murdered by a fae, and Lexi killed when the Seattle area is devastated by a powerful, magical electrical storm. Zoey herself is altered by her association with the Wanderer, Ryker, in life-changing way.

Zoey discovered she was an experiment from the very company she worked for. She could die at any moment of a threatening defect—taking Ryker’s magic with her.

In a race against time, Ryker and Zoey set out to find a way to transfer his powers back before it’s too late. Their journey takes them to the rainforests of South America, dealing with those who are after something Ryker possesses and who will stop at nothing to obtain it for themselves.

What Zoey and Ryker discover can destroy them or tear them a part for good.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

The first book in this series greatly impressed me, but this book was even better! I adore this fictional world where fae come in all different shapes, sizes, and races and are hidden from (most) humans. 

This book leaves off right where City in Embers left off so there is no time lapse in between books. I was glad for it. The plot really expands so much in the second book. It gets way more intense and so many things come to light. I was so compelled to read it that I finished the entire book in one sitting, just as I did with the first book. There were some plot twists that I did not foresee that I was jazzed about. I hate to see them coming so I was pleased that I didn't. The foreshadowing and mystery were woven into the story very well. At times you really didn't know who was ally or foe. I also loved the many different "villains" in the story, because there are a lot! There are three main groups of villains and then there were other threats as well. I liked the balance and how each threat played into the story as a whole. 

I love the world-building in this! Most of the book is set in Peru and the descriptions are just lovely. I felt like I was personally walking through the rainforest, seeing Machu Picchu, going to dive bars, and eating in quaint diners. It was very atmospheric. 

I loved the new characters in the book and how they contributed to and changed the dynamic and the chemistry between the characters. SO MUCH DRAMA, YA'LL! And it is so tasty! Hehe. There were girl feuds that got my blood boiling and bro fights that riled me up. The environment created by the characters was intoxicating. The character growth of the main characters in this book has a lot of depth. They are constantly showing their cards and their true natures, even if they have to go through their own obstacles to get there. The demons that they face in themselves helps them to overcome their obstacles and makes them really decide on what they truly want. 

The romance in this book is damn hot! I don't think that there is any other way to put it. This series had a slow-burn romance, which I love. I adore the way that the two main characters come together and get to know each other so completely. They wrestle with themselves over their feelings though, never really admitting that they have them for one another but definitely showing *ahem, physically, cough* that they actually do. There is a lot of body language and dialogue between the characters that shows their true feelings. And it is glorious!

Overall, this series is quickly lodging itself into my heart. I have fallen in love with these characters and this creative fantasy world. I definitely have a new favorite author! Stacey Marie Brown is a talented storyteller that you won't want to miss out on!


Check out my reviews for the other books in this series!


City in Embers (Collector #1)

Find my review here.


This series is incredibly creative. What authors do you like that put an interesting spin on the same old paranormal stuff? Feel free to share your most recent read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design