Sunday, May 19, 2019

Reread Review: The Chosen Knights (Secret Knights #1) by Mary Ting

Title: The Chosen Knights
Series: Secret Knights #1
Author: Mary Ting
Publisher: Mary Ting
Published: March 22, 2016
Pages: 328
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
When teens go missing in Hawaii, a group of demon-hunters—half human and half angel—disguised as high school students, must leave Crossroads, the place where they reside. In a race against time, they uncover the mystery connecting the missing teens, which dates back to the era of the Knights Templar. However, when they discover one of the Templars passed down a book containing all the secrets and codes to finding a particular treasure, they soon realize this forbidden treasure needs to be found before Cyrus, the lord of the possessor demons, acquires it—a treasure which been safeguarded and hidden from him. 

There is only one problem: the pages containing the clues leading to the treasure is missing. When the first page is found, Cyrus threatens to kill more descendants of the Knights Templar if it is not given to him by Friday the thirteenth. In the midst of threats and discovery, the demon-hunting angels find they are not alone when supernatural beings begin to reveal themselves. Can they put their differences aside and work together to solve the Knights Templars’ cipher? As they astral travel to the past, they witness a lot more than they have bargained for. And some things are better left unseen.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

I really loved catching up on this series. I remember that I liked the romance, and that still stands true. While this is not necessarily instalove, I feel that the relationship formed a little too quickly. Though I think this is because this book is a fast-paced read. I did enjoy the characters for the most part. Sometimes the dialogue felt forced and cheesy, but there were some hidden gems sprinkled throughout as well. Some of the characters had some great character development, and others not so much. I didn't feel fully connected to the main character, Lucia. I liked her well enough to read the story, but she wasn't memorable. If anything, I liked her love interest in the story more. He was quite interesting, snarky, and had some good backstory. I very much like the premise of the book series. I always love when authors take existing ideas, like this series does with angels and demons, and and make them their own with unique ideas. Ting does this well in this series. I really love the flashbacks to events that have taken place in the past. Those characters' journeys are just as much a part of the story as the main characters. The world-building in this is not out of this world. Though there are supernatural and paranormal fantasy elements infused, this series takes place in present day Hawaii and so the world is that of a contemporary with paranormal creatures that live there. Overall, I enjoyed rereading this book and I am continuing on with the series. I would recommend this series. It is a fun, engaging, and quick read and the unique take on angels and demons is enough to warrant a read. 


My original review is here.

I find that a lot of my rereads of books that I first read a year or more ago tend to get less stars the second time around. Perhaps my standards were too low back then? Does this ever happen to you when you reread a book? Let me know what you have been adding to your TBR lately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design