Thursday, May 16, 2019

Review: Tomboy (The Hartigans #3) by Avery Flynn

Title: Tomboy
Series: The Hartigans #3
Author: Avery Flynn
Publisher: Entangled: Amara 
Published: February 18, 2019
Pages: 316
Genres: Contemporary, Romance
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
How exactly has one good deed landed me in the penalty box?

Ice Knights defenseman Zach Blackburn has come down with the flu, and my BFF—his PR manager—begs me to put my nursing degree to use and get him back to health. Of course she would call in a favor for the most hated man in Harbor City.

But when he’s finally on the mend and I’m sneaking out of his place, everything goes sideways. Paparazzi spot me and pictures, plus accusations that I slept with him, fly faster than a hockey puck.

At first, all of Harbor City wants my blood—or to give me a girlie-girl makeover. But then…the team finally wins a game. And now this fickle town wants me with the big jerk twenty-four seven.

Argh. I never slept with him the first time! But no one will listen. Then the grumpy bastard goes and promises to break his no-fan-appearances rule to help raise money for a free health clinic—but only if I’m rink-side at every game. That’s not a deal I can turn down.

But when the team keeps winning, and I realize there’s more to him than his bad reputation, suddenly remembering to keep my real hands off my fake date gets harder and harder to do.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

There is something about an Avery Flynn book that captures you and holds you captive. (In all the best ways!) I adored the first book of this series, loved the second, and I loved this one just as much as the last.

One of my favorite things about Avery Flynn's books is the down to Earth characters. Her characters aren't just cookie cutter rom-com characters. They are real. They have flaws, insecurities, and problems. The realistic characters make the story more believable. I loved both Fallon and Zach's characters. Zach was a perfect bad boy character with a secret. Once his secret is revealed it is easy to see how he acted the way he did. Fallon was a perfect female lead. She didn't take crap from anyone, especially Zach. She was selfless, vulnerable, and totally relatable. I also loved getting to see the characters from the first two books!

I loved the underlying theme of friendship that was spread throughout the book. Fallon had her girlfriends that were always there for her. They came over for a girls night when Fallon was at rock bottom. Even her mother joined them. It was beautiful. And then there was Zach's hockey team. They showed that they were there for him in so many ways, even when Zach was a total douchebag. By the end of the book, I was jazzed that his friendship with his teammates finally seemed to be going somewhere. I hope that we get to see more of their friendship in future books.

The romance was great. It really worked between them. I love the way that they came together and broke through one another's defenses. I also love how Zach was the one to realize that what they had was real and to push for it. Men are normally the ones to shy away from relationships, but not Zach. He saw something real in Fallon and in what they had together and he went for it. I also loved how the romance between them showed that people make mistakes, sometimes with the best intentions. 

Overall, this book will have you fangirling so hard. You will connect with these realistic characters and fall in love with their love story. I can't wait for more of the Hartigans and I can't wait to see more of these hockey players!



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Let's Read Indie Challenge
- 2019 New Release Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
- Bad Boys of Romance Challenge
- Finishing the Series Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


I am fairly new to reading adult contemporary romance novels. Like, a total newb. I like that this series contains standalones with each book featuring a different character, though the characters show up in each book. It is a trend that I have been seeing in this genre. Can you recommend any book series that fall into this formula? I am becoming quite obsessed with contemporary books this year. What other books have caught your fancy lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design