Friday, May 24, 2019

Review: City in Embers (Collector #1) by Stacey Marie Brown

Title: City in Embers
Series: Collector #1
Author: Stacey Marie Brown
Publisher: Twisted Fairy Publishing
Published: February 4, 2015
Pages: 458
Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
Zoey Daniels has been tossed from foster home to foster home, where she grows up fast and tough. When she is placed in her “last-chance” home, she finds a reason to stay and turn her life around: her foster sister, Lexie, who is paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. Zoey will do anything to keep her safe. After high school, Zoey is hired by a special government agency, the Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG), where she meets the other reason to remain: Daniel, her co-worker. The man she loves.

But there is something unique about Zoey. She can see fae. Because of this, the DMG hires her to work as a Collector: catching, researching, testing, and using the fae to save human lives. The work never registers on her sympathy radar. She was raised to think of fae as beasts that feed on humans and want to destroy them.

When devastation hits Seattle, Zoey's whole world is turned upside down. The electric storm connects her to a ruthless fae, a Wanderer named Ryker, whose dealings expose them to even more trouble and danger. They embark on a journey, running and hiding from both the government and fae, both of which threaten their lives and those they love.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

OMG, the struggle is real! This is my first venture into the waters of Stacey Marie Brown and I honestly didn't have any expectations going into this book. The synopsis of this book really called to me, and I am happy to say that I was blown away by this book! I am so glad that all the books in this series have already been released because I do not think that I could contain myself if I had to wait to finish this series. 

I was completely immersed in this world. The world-building was entirely convincing. This is an urban fantasy, so this story takes place in our world but has fantasy and paranormal elements on top of our own world. I really liked the blending of both worlds. It was very seamless and shown in such a way that I felt this could actually happen. The realisticness was overpowering. I also liked the subtle blending of genres. This is urban fantasy, but there are elements of paranormal and dystopia as well.

I loved these characters. I felt very connected to them and their character growth was amazing. I loved how the coming together of the two main characters, going from enemies to companions (and maybe more?), not only advanced the romance in the book in a profound way but also strengthened each character individually. Both main characters have difficult pasts and personal demons that they need to overcome. Connecting with the other has brought them something that they didn't have before. The hate-to-love (or at least friendship if not yet love) aspect in the book was very well written. It was a slow burn progression from enemies to respecting each other. And the romance is the same since the hate-to-love trope in the story connects to that as well. We don't get any actual romance between the two main characters, but the romantic and sexual tension is some of the best that I have read. I normally like <i>some</i> actual romance in my books, but if this tension continues between the two main characters then I will gladly delay gratification. 

The premise of this book is what really hooked me from the start. I was really impressed by the ideas in the story. I am such a fan of original and interesting ideas in fantasy and urban fantasy, and Stacey Marie Brown is a breath of fresh air. The plot was very consuming. I was compelled to keep reading and I was entranced by how smooth and clever the plot was. I started this book at bedtime and stayed up through the night until morning just to finish it. 

Overall, I can just say that I have discovered a new favorite author and I am so thrilled! I can't wait to finish this series and start in on Stacey Marie Brown's backlist of books. Brown is a wonderful storyteller. If you enjoy moving urban fantasy or paranormal stories with complex characters and serious romantic tension then you will love this book!


Stacey Marie Brown is one of my best indie discoveries. All of her books are incredible. What are some of your favorite indie authors? What books have you been adding to your TBR lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design