Saturday, February 23, 2019

Saturday Sing-Along: The Shadow and Bone Series Playlist Part 1

Saturday Sing-Along is a meme that I created after realizing that I have way too many playlists on Spotify dedicated to my favorite book series. I am constantly making playlists to go along with my favorite books so I thought that I would share those songs with others. Hopefully, others would love to join in and we can share and discuss the songs that fit perfectly with our fandoms and the moods that the music creates for them. 

RULES
1. Pick 3 - 5 songs that remind you of a book or series. (Or pick an entire playlist if your heart desires!)
2. The songs do not have to be about the same book or series. Mix things up if you wish.
3. Post the title and artist of the song and then the book or series that it reminds you of. As a bonus, you can tell us what character or couple the song reminds you of and why.
4. Post a few lines of lyrics from the song (or all of them if you want, go wild!) that best represent the book or series (or character or couple, etc.). Unless it's instrumental, obviously. =)
5. As a bonus, you can post or link to a YouTube video of your songs so that it is easy for others to listen to them and experience your playlist.

If you are participating, these rules are not set in stone. Make this your own thing and change things up if you like. This is supposed to be fun, after all. =)

Since I just finished my reread of the Shadow and Bone series by Leigh Bardugo, I decided to share part of my playlist for this series. 

THE SHADOW AND BONE SERIES PLAYLIST PART 1

1. Castle by Halsey
This song reminds me of Alina. How when she first came to the Little Palace and was placed on a pedestal. Like she was already the Queen to The Darkling's King. 



Sick of all these people talking, sick of all this noise
Tired of all these cameras flashing, sick of being poised
Oh, all these minutes passing, sick of feeling used
If you wanna break these walls down, you’re gonna get bruised
Now my neck is open wide, begging for a fist around it
Already choking on my pride, so there's no use crying about it
I'm headed straight for the castle
They wanna make me their queen
And there's an old man sitting on the throne 
That's saying that I probably shouldn't be so mean
I'm headed straight for the castle
They’ve got the kingdom locked up
And there's an old man sitting on the throne 
That's saying I should probably keep my pretty mouth shut
Straight for the castle
There's no use crying about it

2. Whose Side Are You On by Tommee Profitt, ft. Ruelle
This song reminds me of Alina and The Darkling. After Alina has found out his true intentions, feeling betrayed, and then a general feeling of separation from him.



There’s two sides to every story
But I don’t know how this one ends
You want fire and you want glory
But there’s a struggle that lies within
Light and dark are intertwining
Standing here face to face
Betrayal burns and there’s no hiding
It cuts deeper than a razor blade
There’s a war in my head and I don’t understand
How we ended up here
There’s a tear in my heart where your lies left a mark
And now nothing is clear
Whose side are you on?
Whose side are you on?
War lines have been drawn
Whose side are you on?

3. Crown by Halflives
This song reminds me of Alina during the middle of the series. How she was broken down by The Darkling and determined to put her big girl panties on and defeat him. 



I can't find the answers
I'm a wanderer into the night
Can't find my own direction
Wasted all my strength over these fights
Yeah, I crawled till I was bleeding
And ruined my heart from the inside
I have fought against my demons
They consumed my dreams as years went by
I can't stand so royal
On my throne I'm sitting paralyzed
Sinking into paranoia
But this won't decay before my eyes
Take me closer to the daylight
Can't you hear this is my battle cry
'Cause I know that I've been taken down
Now I'm a fire about to blow
And from these smoking ashes on the ground
I'm gonna rise and wear my crown
I'll go and get it now
I'll go and get my crown
Take me closer to this last fight
Can't you hear this is my battle cry
'Cause I've been living on the edge yeah
And I know what it's like to break down
But now that I have braved the storms I,
I'm coming back to get my crown


4. When The Darkness Comes by Colbie Caillat
This song reminds me of Alina and Mal, but also Alina and The Darkling. For Mal, this some reminds me of when he was being a douche in the middle of the series and fighting and drinking his pain away. For The Darkling, it is more of a general feeling from the first book when Alina first comes to the Little Palace. The lyrics also kind of have a double entendre or double meaning since they are talking about the sun, hence Alina, and darkness, hence The Darkling. 



Underneath the echoes, Buried in the shadows
There you were
Drawn into your mystery, I was just beginning
To see your ghost
Now the door is open, The world I knew is broken
There's no return
Now my heart is not scared, Just knowing that you're out there
Watching me
So believe I'll be here waiting
Hoping, praying that, This light will guide you home
When you're feeling lost I'll leave my love
Hidden in the sun
For when the darkness comes

5. Kings Never Die by Eminem, ft. Gwen Stefani
This is a total Darkling anthem.



Do whatever I gotta do just to win
'Cause I got this motherfucking cloud over my head
Crown around it, thorns on it
Cracks in it, bet you morons didn't
Think I'd be back, did ya?
'Cause I been lost tryna think of what I did to get here but I'm not a quitter
Obliterate anyone in the way
If I'm here today and gone tomorrow
And I'm not gonna be
Here to stay
Even when I'm gone
When I close my eyes
Through the passage of time
Kings never die


So there are the first five songs of my Shadow and Bone Playlist. Do any of these songs speak true to any of you for this series? What other songs do you think would fit into the mood for this series? I'd love to add more song to my playlist so feel free to share! If you would like to participate in my meme then please link me to your post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design