Saturday, February 23, 2019

Review: P.S. I Like You by Kasie West


Title: P.S. I Like You
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: Point
Published: July 26, 2016
Pages: 330
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Ebook


Signed, sealed, delivered…

While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!

Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out…


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Google | BD | Wordery


MY REVIEW
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain SPOILERS.

This story was simply adorable! I really gravitated toward the musical aspect of the story. I love how the two lead characters connected through song lyrics which then opened them up to explore more of each other's personalities and lives. The fact that it was anonymous throughout most of the story really brought out the suspense and the need to keep reading.

The characters in this book were fantastic! I adored Lily and her amazingly normal and dysfunctional family that reminded me so much of my own- both growing up as a child and my own family now that I have children of my own. I really felt a connection to her character and I loved the close family representation. I actually laughed out loud during the Halloween scene because I could totally see that same situation play out in my own family. It really brought a lasting smile to my face. Lily's close family balances out Cade's family issues. It's so easy to feel for him once you find out about his family life.  I loved the side characters as well. The aspect of friendship was really important in this book. 

The romance is so sweet. Like, too adorable for words. I love how the romance played out anonymously with the exchanging of notes and letters in Chemistry class. The characters get to know each other without filters. Without having to fear spilling any secrets to anyone in particular. It is safe and it lets their true personalities shine through. They fall in love through these letters and then they both found out who the other writer is without the other one knowing. They both think that the other person hates them and will stop writing if they found out the truth so they keep up the letters while fighting their inner feelings. But they have to deal with their feelings in the end, but Lily has to decide how to go about it. Stop writing cold turkey and forget or confront the boy she is so crazy for.

While I enjoyed the plot of this book, I knew what was going to happen from the very beginning. I wasn't surprised by anything. I knew who the boy was from the start and so the mystery wasn't really that mysterious for me. Watching Lily trying to figure it out was suspenseful, but I wish that it has been for me as well. Apart from the utterly severe predictability in the story, I have no complaints.

Overall, this was such a fun and entertaining read. There are parts that will melt your heart and parts that will make you laugh. If you are a YA contemporary fan then this should be on your shelf!


THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Tackle My TBR Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
- Popsugar Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Contemporary Romance isn't my go-to genre. I tend to only read it once in a while and lately, I have immersed myself in it. I'd love some recommendations! Young Adult, New Adult, or Adult Contemporary. If contemporary isn't your jam then share your most recent read. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design