Thursday, February 21, 2019

Review: Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo


This is actually a reread for me, but I never reviewed this the first time I read it. No clue why since it's one of my all-time favorite books series! When I read this series the first time it was still called the Grisha Trilogy but it has since been changed to The Shadow and Bone Trilogy because of Leigh Bardugo's expanding Grishaverse.

Title: Ruin and Rising
Series: The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Published: June 17, 2014
Pages: 422
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Hardcover


The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Google | BD | Wordery


MY REVIEW
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain SPOILERS.

The ending of this series is beyond perfect. Beyond anything that I could have conjured in my mind. It is an absolute piece of artwork. I only wish that I could use merzost so that I could create something tangible with this feeling so that I can display it on my wall and look back on it to feel the hurricane of emotions that I am feeling now. This ending feels so bittersweet to me. There are so many concluding thoughts that are difficult to sort out.

First and foremost, The Darkling. This beautiful, twisted, power hungry, lonely boy that only ever wanted to belong somewhere. His differences cast him as other and he was bitter towards all those that made him suffer in his darkness alone. The Darkling makes for such a compelling and believable villain because most of what he says and believes is actually true. He did want a safe place for Grisha, somewhere for them to belong. So he made the Second Army. This stems from his own struggles throughout his life being hunted and different. Of course, this isn't enough for the Darkling. I hate to say it, but Bhagra pretty much poisoned his mind with ideals of power and strength. Sure, she wanted her son to have strength and to not be victimized as she had as a child. But I think that the message was lost in translation to the Darkling. <i>What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men.</i> Power became the Darkling's ultimate goal. And then Alina popped into his life and he became all but obsessed with the idea of her with him. He had finally found someone with power akin to his own. Someone that he could live the countless years with and not be alone in his power any longer. I think that his feelings for Alina stem from that young boy who only ever wanted someone to belong with. To not be alone. To be with someone that was an equal. But by this point, the Darkling's heart has already been corrupted by greed and power so his love for Alina became twisted and turned to the point of obsession. This is my second time reading this book and I still have convoluted feelings towards the Darkling. I love him, I hate him, I feel sorry for him, and I mourn him. I understand where he was coming from and why he did the things he did while still not forgiving him for all the people that he killed and the horrific things that he did. He is definitely my all-time favorite villain.

The Darkling
"You might make me a better man."

Alina
"You might make me a monster."

Alina, Mal, and Nikolai had so much character progression in this book. We get to see them at their lowest and then we get to see them determined to fight on. I loved Mal's self-sacrifice. His love for Alina is evident in all that he does for her. It's truly beautiful. I also loved the friendship that formed between Alina, Mal, and their group of Grisha. Even Zoya was among them so it was incredible to see her and Alina become begrudging friends by the end of the book. Their little group had a lovely camaraderie. 

Now, the plot. Leigh Bardugo can wield a plot like a weapon and slay you with details shrouded in mystery. The turn of events that takes place in this book is absolutely brilliant. The way that everything from the first two books comes together is so clever and riveting. There is definite foreshadowing in the first two books, but Bardugo is so good at constructing her story that the reader doesn't see the big reveal until the exact moment it happens. It's incredible! Not only this, but the way she ties up all the loose ends at the end of the book is storytelling perfection. That ending took so much out of my heart, but it was absolutely perfect for this story. 

I'm not going to lie and say that I am not a little broken inside after finishing this book. But I suppose that the best books do take a little piece of your heart in the end. I am ever so grateful to Leigh Bardugo for sharing this exquisite and irresistible world with us. Bardugo has become a Saint in her own right with her esteemed stories that have definitely become holy to me. 

I recommend this book series to everyone! I would shout this from the heavens if I could. I will forever be a lifelong fan of Leigh Bardugo's writing and I shall spread its gospel wherever I shall go. If you enjoy young adult fantasy that is utterly unique, with characters that you will want to embrace (or smack at times), and a plot that will leave your mouth hanging open at the end then you need this series in your life.


THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Stellar Series Challenge
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


This series has such a bittersweet ending in my opinion, but it is also absolutely perfect in every way. What are some of your favorite books with bittersweet endings that had you on the cusp of happiness and sadness?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design