Friday, February 22, 2019

Review: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo


This is actually another reread for me, but I never reviewed this the first time I read it. 

Title: Six of Crows
Series: Six of Crows #1
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Published: September 29, 2015
Pages: 480
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Hardcover


Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price–and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone…

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first. 


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Google | BD | Wordery


MY REVIEW
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain SPOILERS.

Well, what can I say about this transcendental book that hasn't already been voiced? Not much I know, but allow me to unload the mountain of feels that I have garnered from this book. This is my second time reading this book and the effect on me is not much changed from the first time. I first read this book a few months after it was first released and fell head over heels in love with everything about this book. Rereading the book has only strengthened my obsession with this amazing story. This book slammed into me full force, knocked me off my axis, and gut-kicked me for good measure. An assault I loved every moment of. 

I fell in love with Bardugo's Grishaverse when I read the Shadow and Bone series. Then I read this and was so in awe of this world. I loved being able to see another part of this incredible world that she has created. There are many elements from the Shadow and Bone trilogy included in Six of Crows but we see a different view, a different way of life, and a few different countries within the Grishaverse. Bardugo is so skilled in differentiating each culture and creating a perfect image of them in the readers' heads. She accounts for political viewpoints, weather, traditions, day to day life, dress, and how these different cultures view the rest of the world. The world building is truly brilliant. 

You can tell how much Bardugo has grown as an author with the plot of this story. Simply put, it is damn incredible. Each plot point is intricately woven into the overall story to create a masterpiece that is truly grand. The way that the pieces of the story fit so immaculately makes my little fangirl heart cheer like mad. It's just so impressive. The twists and reveals in the story are ones that you won't expect and they all have such a big impact. 

Equally impressive are the characters. Never in my life have I read about a more deliciously malicious yet morally gray set of characters, and I love each and every one! I really loved the progression of each character's backstory throughout the novel and how it affects their actions in the present. I love how fierce each of these characters is, yet vulnerable at the same time. What makes them vulnerable also makes them fierce. These characters all have tragic pasts that haunt them and/or addictions and inner demons to fight. They haven't had the best hand dealt to them, but they have used this to make them stronger. To make them survivors. While I love each personal journey, I also love the camaraderie and relationships that are formed. 

The romantic aspects of this book are very subtle. There are definite feelings between certain characters but it isn't told so much in a physical way. It is told in the concise words of the characters and their actions. I really found the budding romance between certain characters incredibly beautiful. I certainly have a soft spot for tortured souls finding love and this book is a menagerie for that trope. 

Overall, this is a book that I will always cherish. I will come back to this story again and again for these characters that have imprinted on my soul, this harsh world that is displayed so vividly, and a story that will always stick with me. If you have not experienced Bardugo's Grishaverse then you are missing out on a truly exceptional world. These stories are soul-shattering and it is a hurt that you will beg for more of.


THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Stellar Series Challenge
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
Check out my 2019 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Leigh Bardugo is one of my all-time favorite authors. Which authors are you complete trash for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design