Saturday, February 2, 2019

Saturday Sing-Along #001: The Folk of the Air Playlist Part 1

Saturday Sing-Along is a meme that I created after realizing that I have way too many playlists on Spotify dedicated to my favorite book series. I am constantly making playlists to go along with my favorite books so I thought that I would share those songs with others. Hopefully, others would love to join in and we can share and discuss the songs that fit perfectly with our fandoms and the moods that the music creates for them. 

RULES
1. Pick 3 - 5 songs that remind you of a book or series. (Or pick an entire playlist if your heart desires!)
2. The songs do not have to be about the same book or series. Mix things up if you wish.
3. Post the title and artist of the song and then the book or series that it reminds you of. As a bonus, you can tell us what character or couple the song reminds you of and why.
4. Post a few lines of lyrics from the song (or all of them if you want, go wild!) that best represent the book or series (or character or couple, etc.). Unless it's instrumental, obviously. =)
5. As a bonus, you can post or link to a YouTube video of your songs so that it is easy for others to listen to them and experience your playlist.

If you are participating, these rules are not set in stone. Make this your own thing and change things up if you like. This is supposed to be fun, after all. =)

I am going to be starting with a series fandom that has been on my mind constantly this month. These songs are from my The Cruel Prince/The Wicked King playlist. This playlist is far too large for one post, so I will share a few at a time.

THE FOLK OF THE AIR
PLAYLIST PART 1

1. Monster by Starset
This song reminds me of Jude and Cardan. From Jude's perspective thinking on Cardan, though parts of the song could definitely be from Cardan's perspective thinking on Jude.


Under the knife I surrendered, The innocence yours to consume
You cut it away, And you filled me up with hate
Into the silence you sent me, Into the fire consumed
You thought I'd forget, But it's always in my head
This is the world you've created, The product of what I've become
My soul and my youth, Seems it's all for you to use
If I could take back the moment, I let you get under my skin
Relent or resist, Seems the monster always wins
You're the pulse in my veins, You're the war that I wage
Can you change me?, Can you change me?
You're the love that I hate, You're the drug that I take
Will you cage me?, Will you cage me?
You're the pulse in my veins, You're the war that I wage
Can you change me?, Can you change me?
From the monster you made me?, From the monster you made me?
My heart's an artifice, a decoy soul, I lift you up and then I let you go
I've made an art of digging shallow holes
I'll drop the tiniest seed and watch it grow
My heart's an artifice, a decoy soul
Who knew the emptiness could be so cold?
I've lost the parts of me that make me whole
I am the darkness
I'm a monster

2. Whore by In This Moment
This is definitely a song that reminds me of Jude and the way that Cardan feels about her. 


I’m the girl you’ve been thinking about, The one thing you can’t live without
I’m the girl you’ve been waiting for, I’ll have you down on your knees
I’ll have you begging for more
You probably thought I wouldn’t get this far, You thought I’d end up in the back of a car
You probably thought that I’d never escape
I’d be a rat in a cage, I’d be a slave to this place
You don’t know how hard I fought to survive
Waking up alone when I was left to die
You don’t know about this life I’ve led, All these roads I’ve walked
All these tears I’ve bled
I’m the one that you need and fear
Now that you’re hooked, it’s all becoming clear
That all your judgments that you placed on me
Was a reflection of discovery
So maybe next time when you cast your stones, From the shadows of the dark unknown
You will crawl up from your hiding place, Take a look in the mirror
See the truth in your face
So how can this be? You’re praying to me
As I look in your eyes, I know just what that means
I can be, I can be your everything
I can be your whore
I am the dirt you created
I am your sinner, And your whore
But let me tell you something baby
You love me for everything you hate me for

3. Deliverance by CHVRCHES
This is another song from Jude's point of view thinking on Cardan.


Careful when you're swimmin' in the holy water
Drowning in your own beliefs
Careful when you're standing at a broken altar
Asking if we feel relief
Careful when you're looking for a true confession
Mirror what you wanna see
Careful when you're tellin' us about obsessions
Sayin' that we're never free
Trust me when I tell you 'bout my own convictions
Made my mind up long ago
Trust me when I tell you it's a contradiction
Wishin' that I didn't know
Trust me that I struggle with all your destruction
Screamin' that I told you so
Trust me when I talk about the disillusion
Building up and letting go
Look in my eyes when you say it, say it
Look in my eyes like you mean it, mean it
You better hold on to what you love
You better give up on giving up
It's a deliverance
If you can never, never change
It's a deliverance
If you hurt me in exchange

4. Paper Doll by Bea Miller
This song reminds me of Jude and how Cardan is cruel to her in The Cruel Prince.


Does it make you feel good to make me feel small?
When you're pushing me down, does it make you feel tall?
Pointing out my flaws 'cause you wanna erase them all
Does it make you feel good to make me feel small?
Did somebody make you feel invisible?
Is it true hurt people hurt people?
The way you hate and break
It don't make no sense at all
But you're not gonna make me feel invisible
Oh, you'd love if you crumble me up
In the palm of your hands
Well, I bet that sucks
'Cause now you know you can't
Betcha didn't think I knew what I was made of
Thought I would lay down
I wouldn't stand up
Well listen up 'cause you got it all wrong
I'm not a paper doll
Can't make me what you want
You just build me up and tear me down
Enough's enough
Go, leave me alone
Cut me down but I won't fall
I'm not a paper doll

5. Hereafter by Architects
A song from Jude's point of view.


I wasn't ready for the rapture, we're only passing through
But these words, they mean nothing to me
I know that time will mend this fracture, I've been lost in a maze
And every route I take, leads right back to you
I've been searching through the wreckage
But it's like standing in the eye of a storm
When will I finally get the message?
Some things are broken beyond repair
This is my cross to bear
My own meaningless catastrophe
I never had the time to prepare
Because I never knew that all my nightmares could come true
I've spent my fair share
In the deepest depths of despair
'Cause I was too lost down there to care
I wasn't braced for the fallout
Now the oceans have drained out
Can I come up for air?
'Cause I've been learning to live without
And I'm fighting with broken bones
Now the skies have been blacked out
I've got to find my way
'Cause it's been raining but there's a drought
And I'm fighting with broken bones


So there are the first five songs of my Folk of the Air Playlist. Do any of these songs speak true to any of you for this series? What other songs do you think would fit into the mood for this series? I'd love to add more song to my playlist so feel free to share! If you would like to participate in my meme then please link me to your post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design