Thursday, July 11, 2019

Review: Your Sound (Sherbrooke Station #3) by Katia Rose

Title: Your Sound
Series: Sherbrooke Station #3
Author: Katia Rose
Publisher: Katia Rose
Published: November 28, 2018
Pages: 272
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Ebook
~~~~~
Molly Myers is just your average groupie next door.

Literally.

The rock star whose posters cover her bedroom wall is banging her roommate right on the other side of it. Even for Molly, reigning queen of embarrassing moments, the situation is epically awkward. Every thump of the headboard is just one more reminder that the lead singers of famous bands don’t date bumbling shy girls too anxious to leave their own rooms.

JP Bouchard-Guindon wasn’t looking for Molly’s room when he accidentally burst through the door, but the wild-haired girl lying there in her underwear was certainly worth the detour. 

As the keyboardist for Montreal’s latest indie rock sensation, JP has met his fair share of fangirls. He’s always ready to throw up some finger guns for a photo. What he’s not ready for is the way skittish, wide-eyed Molly Myers gets stuck inside his head.

A practical joker and a social recluse are the last people anyone expects a connection between. She’s silence aching for a voice, and he’s sound with a craving for quiet. Their differences will either pull them together, or fracture their worlds when they push them apart.



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

This book had a lot of good qualities mixed with things that I didn't like. Which makes for a rather spotty reading experience. I think that for this review I will break things down into what I liked and what I didn't like.

Starting off with the good, I really liked the premise of the story. It is actually what made me read the book in the first place. I knew that I had to read this when I read in the synopsis that a shy band groupie has a run in with a member of her favorite band when he busts up into her bedroom while she is in her underwear. 

The overall plot of the story was very good. I definitely thought that some of the concepts could have been elaborated on or given more attention, but I liked where the story went overall. 

I liked that the main characters had a decent backstory. I would have liked more exploration into their backstories, but there was enough information to get a grasp on their personalities and why they act the way that they do. 

I think that what kept me from loving this book the most was the execution of the storytelling. I didn't feel drawn into the story, nor did I feel connected to it. I wanted to. I really did, because I liked the story as a whole. The writing didn't create the chemistry between the characters that would normally have me slamming the pages. There wasn't enough power in the pages to make me really care. It was missing that oomph that makes a story great.

In the book, one of the main characters is French Canadian and so he speaks a lot of French. I typically don't mind when characters speak other languages, but it felt excessive in this book. I literally was on Google translate more than necessary which greatly put a damper on my reading enjoyment. I feel like I shouldn't have to constantly look up translations to know what the characters are saying. It was very annoying.

Overall, this book had a lot of promise but in the end, did not work for me. While I didn't totally hate the reading experience, it probably isn't one that will stick with me. It has its merits though, so if you enjoy contemporary romance then you may enjoy this one. I am not sure if I will read any of the other books in this series. They do sound interesting enough for me to give the author another shot.


While this book didn't wow me, I did enjoy the rockstar romance. I haven't read a rockstar romance before but I plan to read more. Do you have any rockstar romance novels that you could recommend? What books have been on your radar lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design