Friday, July 5, 2019

Review: Prince of Dreams (The Messenger Chronicles #4) by Pippa DaCosta

Title: Prince of Dreams
Series: The Messenger Chronicles #4
Author: Pippa DaCosta
Publisher: Crazy Ace Publishing
Published: December 14, 2018
Pages: 357
Genres: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Adult, Romance, Reverse Harem
Source: Kindle Unlimited
~~~~~
“Oh what a tangled web we weave…”

Kesh fled Faerie as a queen killer. Now she returns as the Faerie King’s secret obsession. But on Faerie, nothing is as it seems, not even Kesh herself. 

With days to stop Arran’s execution and the stoic guardian, Sirius, as her constant shadow, Kesh must weave her lies deep within Faerie’s courts where magic and whispers combine and conspire. Soon, Kesh learns there is more at stake than Arran’s life. Faerie is dying. Oberon’s reign is crumbling. The time to strike against the fae is now. But with Talen and Kellee a thousand light-years away, Kesh knows she cannot succeed alone… 

Beneath the courtly politics, the glittering facades, and the King’s fragile hold on his people, the Dreamweaver is locked in eternal slumber, dreaming of the day his Queen of Hearts will set him free… because he knows, Kesh has no other choice. 

Kesh survived the Dreamweaver once before. Now all she has to do is control him. 

But Faerie's Dreamweaver has other ideas for the peoples’ Messenger. He knows who, and what, Kesh really is and he has every intention of using her to make all his dreams come true. 

He takes your mind, makes it his, takes your soul, makes you cruel. 
Dare you answer the Dreamweaver’s call?



MY REVIEW
DISCLAIMER: This review MAY contain spoilers. 

This series has seriously captured my heart. It brings my love of fantasy and my love of science fiction crashing together to form something truly unique. The mashup of genres is like drugs for me. I get so excited just thinking about the fantasy and science fiction aspects that compliment each other splendidly. My fangirl heart just won't rest. 

One thing to mention about this series is that it is a reverse harem series. I am very new to this genre, but I have learned very quickly what I like and what I don't like when it comes to these types of books. The one thing that I can't stand and that really ruins the reading experience for me if when the plot is exceedingly unconvincing or ridiculous. Pippa DaCosta knocks this out of the park with a truly convincing story. She does this very well with an interesting and compelling plot that doesn't feel smothered by the reverse harem aspect. I like that it is there, but it doesn't dominate the story. The reverse harem aspect has a slow-burn romance as well so that also makes it more convincing than a lot of other books that I have read by other authors in this genre. The last thing that really makes the reverse harem aspect great in this series is the complex characters and the way that they interact with each other. The chemistry between the characters is really top notch.

There was a ton of development with the plot in the last book. This book seemed more character driven. There are some new developments with the plot that I really liked, but this book felt like the characters were at a crossroads. Kesh is on Faerie with Sirius trying to save Arran and Talen and Kellee are trying to get back to Kesh and find the pieces of the Polestar. Each side had decisions to make that put them at odds with other aspects of the story.

I loved the character development in this installment of the series. In this book, we get chapters from Kellee's point of view as well as Kesh's, which was new. I liked seeing things from Kellee's perspective. Since this is a slow-burn reverse harem, the harem is being introduced slowly. We get to know some of Kesh's harem better in this book. We get a deeper look at Sirius, which I adored! His mysteries are slowly uncovered and I loved the journey from broody guardian to loving protector. We also get to see more of Eledan in this book. I don't know if he is actually a part of the harem or not, but I sure as hell hope that he is. His development in this was amazing! I have always liked Eledan, even when he was a creep and a dick. The chemistry and he and Kesh had is undeniable in my opinion. He is also so flawed, just as much as Kesh is, and I love that! All of the characters in this series are flawed in one way or another and I think that also makes this series so incredible. But, back to Eledan. He was still his usual cryptic self, but I loved the small things that he did for Kesh. He can come off as a little possessive, but he still gave Kesh the "gift" of having Kellee in her dreams. He may be a little twisted, but I am sure that he cares about Kesh. I am excited to see where their relationship goes in the last book. 

The romance in this is hard to explain. There is a slow-burn between Kesh and Sirius. True feelings aren't revealed until the end of the book, but it was awesome. Perfect, really. The relationship with Eledan is up in the air. He clearly wants her and makes the deal with her to be his. He mentioned to the Fae guards that she would be his queen, so yeah. Kesh and Eledan's interactions were much softer than in the past. They used to clash and now they seem to be comfortable with each other. Kelle and Talen are away from Kesh, but we get Kellee's point of view and we can hear his thoughts about how he loves Kesh. I loved his moment with Kesh at the end of the book once they find her. I love that he wanted to share his Vakaru customs with her when it came to being mates.

Overall, this is a bloody fantastic series and I can't urge you enough to read it! If you appreciate real and flawed characters, intricate plots, and entirely unparalleled worlds then this is a perfect book series for you. There is only one more book left in this series after this book, and I am honestly getting a little nervous because I simply don't want this journey to end. I have been so taken with this series and it will hold a special place in my heart for years to come. 


Check out my reviews for the other books in this series!

Shoot the Messenger (The Messenger Chronicles #1)


Find my review here.

Game of Lies (The Messenger Chronicles #2)


Find my review here.

The Nightshade's Touch (The Messenger Chronicles #3)


Find my review here.


This is now one of my absolute favorite series ever! What are some of your all-time favorite book series or books? Which new books have you added to your TBR lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design