Thursday, March 21, 2019

Series Reread Review: Penryn and the End of Days series by Susan Ee

Title: Angelfall
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Skyscape
Published: September 24, 2013
Pages: 288
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
 (Rating increase of half a star from my first read!)

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.


Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BD | Wordery | BB

Title: World After
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #2
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Skyscape
Published: November 19, 2013
Pages: 320
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
 (Rating increase of one star from my first read!)



In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BD | Wordery | BB

Title: End of Days
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #3
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Skyscape
Published: May 12, 2015
Pages: 344
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Paranormal
Source: Ebook
  (Rating increase of one star from my first read!)


End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy. After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BD | Wordery | BB

Series available on Kindle Unlimited!



SERIES REREAD REVIEW
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain SPOILERS.

There are a couple of things that really drove me to reread this series. This series has been at the forefront of my mind since I finished it. I think that it is a combination of things. First, I absolutely adore the main character, Penryn! She is exactly the type of heroine that I love! She is fierce. She's strong, selfless, and determined. She will put her loved ones before herself every time and she doesn't know how to give up. Her character really resonates with me still. The next reason is the chemistry between the two main characters. There is an enemy to lovers aspect to the romance and it is written quite well. I love the way that they grow towards one another. Another aspect of this book that I remembered fondly and enjoyed again is the premise of the book. It uses well-known ideas in young adult books, but it brings some originality to them. I liked the blending of genres. I adore dystopian books and fantasy books and this was a perfect mix of the two with some paranormal thrown in. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed rereading this book. I don't doubt that I will read it again at some point in the future. I highly recommend this series.

It's been over two and a half years since I first read this series and the world was just as vivid the second time around! I really fell in love with this dystopian world. I like that the author didn't skimp on the ugly and gritty things that would certainly be present in an apocalyptic environment. I guess I never really thought about it the first time through, but there are some very dark elements in this series. Not just the typical survival and life or death situations but there are other themes like mental illness, abandonment, and morality. I think that one of the things that I love most about this series is the idea of what it is to be human. The world building is really strong. It was so easy to visualize the landscape and the deterioration of human society. As a whole, the premise of the story is fantastic! I adore this story and the plot is so good! 

I found myself fully immersed in the characters and the romance this time around as well! I have always been drawn to fierce, snarky, and determined female lead characters. Penryn is just exactly that and I love her! She doesn't back down and she is insanely loyal. I like Raffe and his struggle throughout the series. He is a strong character with a lot of history and pain in his background. I liked his tender moments and the romance that grew between him and Penryn. I liked that the romance was a slow burn. It felt very natural. I also loved the side characters. My favorites are Penryn's family and the Tweedle twins. Penryn's mom was a mentally unstable badass that you just could not predict. Her sister was a broken doll that overcame her obstacles with grace. And the twins were the perfect comedic relief in such a serious story. I really loved the overall theme of family and loyalty throughout the whole series. Penryn took care of her family and protected them and they always did the same for her. And her acquired family of Raffe, the Resistance, and the Watchers was really strong as well. Penryn made a point in the book that the bond of family doesn't only lie in blood. 

I definitely recommend this to anyone that has thought about reading it. And even those that haven't! If you enjoy paranormal stories about angels and demons then you'll love this. If you are a dystopian fan, then this would be right up your alley as well. The blending of these genres is in this series is phenomenal!


Check out my original reviews:


What book or book series could you read again and again? Are there any books that have gotten into your head so drastically that you had to come back to them and experience them again?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design