Friday, March 22, 2019

Review: Nightblood (Frostblood Saga #3) by Elly Blake

Title: Nightblood
Series: Frostblood Saga #3
Author: Elly Blake
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: August 21, 2018
Pages: 440
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Ebook

Ruby's world has changed more than she ever could have imagined. She's in love with a powerful Frost King. She's the heir to the Fire Throne. And she may be a Nightblood--the spawn of a vengeful deity hellbent on releasing his wraithlike Minax from their prison. Once freed, these beasts will roam the earth, devouring every last person until he or she is nothing but an empty husk. But Ruby is able to control the Minax to a degree, and now she, her beloved Arcus, and her friend Kai must find a way to bring Frostbloods and Firebloods--sworn enemies--together to make a stand against a foe more deadly than any they've faced.

In this heart-pounding finale of Elly Blake's gorgeously written and action-packed Frostblood Saga, the fate of Frostbloods, Firebloods, and all of humanity is at stake.


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Google | BD | Wordery | BB


MY REVIEW
Disclaimer: This review MAY contain SPOILERS.

This was a very satisfying conclusion to the Frostblood Saga! The ending really does the series justice. I had been highly anticipating this final book of this series since I finished Fireblood, and I am glad that it did not disappoint.

While there weren't many new locations in the story from the first two books, the world building stayed the course. The reader definitely felt the cold in Tempesia, the ocean breeze on the ship, and the rocky cliff beneath their limbs on the island. The world building is very atmospheric. I very much like the addition of mythology in this world. The gods and goddesses are not based on any known mythology (at least not that I know of) and their stories help shape this world and the story as a whole. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the development of the plot. There were so many shocking plot twists that I definitely was not expecting, which made the reading experience that much better. I hate predictable stories unless they are done exceptionally well, but this book in anything but predictable. I liked many of the major plot points that are discovered by the end of the book. They were creative and flowed very well with the story. The foreshadowing throughout the series really pays off in this! Overall, I really liked the premise behind this book series as well. 

The characters in this series are a delight! Their personalities really shine through. I love how Ruby is a firecracker. Pun definitely intended. Arcus is protective and responsible and his love for Ruby radiates from him. I adore Kai's cocky attitude and his softer side that he only seems to have for Ruby. The chemistry between Arcus and Ruby is off the charts incredible! I adore this book couple like you wouldn't believe. I enjoyed the character arcs. Ruby struggling with the darkness inside of her. Arcus trying to manage his responsibilities and still be there for Ruby while she is struggling. And Arcus overcoming his fear of losing her. The characters had so much emotion and I enjoyed their journeys.

The romance was pretty exciting, at least in the beginning. I loved seeing Kai and Arcus's jealousy toward each other over Ruby. I love how this was kind of a love triangle and wasn't at the same time. Both men loved Ruby, but she only had eyes for one of them and it was perfectly clear the whole time. She certainly had feelings for both men but was only in love with one of them. I liked the progression of this piece of the story. 

The only thing that I actually disliked about the book was the lack of finality regarding Kai and Ruby's friendship. In the epilogue, Ruby and Kai don't speak at all and I think that a few final words between them would have eased my heart. It is clear that they are still friends, but the final feeling is not satisfying. I needed a firm confirmation that they were going to remain close friends even across a distance. 

Overall, this book and this series as a whole was such a joy to read! Seriously. If you enjoy epic fantasy with witty dialogue, lovable characters, a vibrant world, and a compelling love story then don't hesitate to pick up this series! I can't wait to read what Elly Blake writes next!


Have you read any of the books in this series? What are some of your favorite books that have enemy factions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design