Friday, January 24, 2020

Review: Teardrop Shot by Tijan

Title: Teardrop Shot
Author: Tijan
Publisher: Tijan
Published: June 24, 2019
Pages: 422
Genres: Contemporary, Romance
Source: Kindle Unlimited

I asked for his criteria for bed buddies-that's the PG version.

He swore at me and said he didn't do groupies. And just like that, our friendship was off to a great start.

Reese Forster was the starting point guard for the Seattle Thunder.

Gorgeous. Cocky. Loved by the nation.

He's also attending preseason basketball training camp where I used to work.

Correction: where I work again, because I was fired from my last job.

And dumped.

And I might have a tiny bit of baggage, but that's normal. Right?

Reese and I shouldn't have become friends. We shouldn't have become roommates.

And we really shouldn't have started sleeping together ... (Except we did.)

I'm adorably psychotic. He's in the NBA.
This is not a disaster waiting to happen, at all.


MY REVIEW
I honestly had a rough start with this one. It took me a while to get used to the writing style. At first, everything felt disjointed. I was having a hard time following the conversations and character thoughts. The writing just wasn't very smooth and had a muddled flow. Once I got a feel for the writing it wasn't so hard to follow along though. 

The characters were middle of the road for me. I didn't hate them but I didn't love them either. I think that what comes to the forefront of my mind when I think back on them is that they weren't all that memorable. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy reading about them because I did. I just didn't feel overly connected to them. Charlie's character actually really annoyed me at the start of the book. I just wasn't on the same page as her but I think that is just a personal hang up. Charlie had her own quirks and had a definitely distinct personality which I admired the author for. Reese's character was easy to identify with. Both characters had some great development in the story. 

The romance is pretty much a slow-burn style romance. There is definitely an attraction between Charlie and Reese from the start but the real feelings don't come until after they've spent some time together. I like how they gradually opened up to one another and started to trust each other. 

The plot of the story was satisfying. There are some underlying themes that I picked up on while reading this story. Moving on from traumas and tragedies in your past is one of them. There's also holding onto grief and closing yourself off from others as a way to cope with said traumas. There were sufficient twists and turns in the story to keep me interested and keep me guessing. 

Overall, this was a satisfying read that I enjoyed. I didn't fall in love with the story but I certainly didn't hate it or have any negative feelings reading it. These are the hardest types of books to review for me because it's hard to place them into a category. The bottom line is that I liked this book. Enough said, I suppose. 


THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2020 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
- Literary Escapes Challenge
Check out my 2020 Challenge Page to see my progress!


I took a chance on a new-to-me author with this book and it paid off. I am looking forward to reading more from Tijan. What was the last new-to-you author that you took a chance on and how did it work out?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design