Saturday, January 11, 2020

Review: The Deal (Off-Campus #1) by Elle Kennedy

Title: The Deal
Series: Off-Campus #1
Author: Elle Kennedy
Publisher: Elle Kennedy
Published: February 24, 2015
Pages: 342
Genres: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Sports Romance
Source: Ebook

She's about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she's carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush's attention, she'll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice... even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it's going to be oh so good.

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he's worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he's all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.


MY REVIEW
I totally devoured this book. I seriously couldn't get enough. This was my first book from this author but I can assure you that it will not be my last. I am so hooked now. 

The most jaw-droppingly amazing thing about this book is how intense the characters are. The reader gets a very intimate look into their lives and personalities with plenty of backstory for each character and distinct character building. I loved that Hannah and Garrett were both so intricately developed characters. The reader really steps into their shoes as they read their story. I also really loved all the side characters that we meet along the way. All of Garrett's friends and Hannah's friends were a delight and I can't wait to get to know Garrett's friends with the other books in the series. I can only hope that Kennedy feels compelled to write books for Hannah's friends as well. 

The chemistry between Hannah and Garrett was immediate. Garrett is trying to talk her into helping him with his midterm and she is rebuking him for it and trying to brush him off. But Garrett isn't a quitter and Hannah finally relents. Once they start spending time together the attraction that they both feel towards the other is obvious as can be. I really like how their gradual coming together to form a friendship and then a relationship felt very natural. Nothing felt forced or convoluted when it came to them falling in love. 

As far as the plot goes, I liked everything. This has some common tropes, a guy and a girl making a deal for separate goals but they end up falling in love and a bit of fake relationship, but the tropes didn't feel shoved down the reader's throat. There was a very natural flow to the story and I feel like Kennedy really made these tropes work beautifully. The storytelling is fantastic as well. I instantly connected with her writing style and I love her writing voice. 

Overall, this book was magnificent and I am so ready and jazzed to read the rest of the books in this series as well as the spin-off series at Briar U. Kennedy writes characters that you can't help but fall madly in love with and I am totally here for it. 


THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2020 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Contemporary Romance Challenge
- Literary Escapes Challenge
- #startonyourshelfathon Challenge
Check out my 2020 Challenge Page to see my progress!


This was my first five-star read of 2020. Have you had any five-star reads so far this year? Which books have caught your fancy lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design