Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Review: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan

Title: The Lightning Thief
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Published: June 28, 2005
Pages: 275
Genres: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Mythology
Source: Audiobook



Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse - Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena - Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.





MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

I fairly enjoyed this. I admit that I have seen both of the Percy Jackson movies prior to reading this. I was oddly surprised by how much the movie differed from the book. No clue why since that is usually the case. I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed this one much more if I had actually read it when I was a middle schooler. I am in my mid-thirties so the age disconnect was pretty extreme. 

Even though this book was clearly written for a younger audience, I still liked the book. The world building in this is great. I love the mythology and how it is woven into today's world. It's interesting to take things that are familiar in the mythology and interpret them differently. While the world in this book is built upon our modern day world, the mythological elements really make this book what it is. 

I liked the characters a lot. They were very relatable. I loved the focus on friendship and family. The young characters see a lot of growth throughout the story. 

The plot was exciting and fast-paced. There was always something going on. Always a new adventure within the journey. There were a lot of different elements involved in the plot. There were so many surprising and unexpected things happening, but in the end, everything falls together nicely. I admit that many of the things that happen seem exceptionally unbelievable, but I suppose I can let it pass since this is a fantasy. 

Overall, this is a fun story for all ages. It has an entertaining premise that is well written and in line with the target age group. It's pretty brilliant actually, and I am surprised that no one thought of it before. I definitely recommend this book. Especially to readers in the target age group. I will be continuing the series. I am excited to know what happens next!



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Try Something New Challenge
- Mount TBR Challenge
- Audiobook Challenge
- Reading Bingo
Check out my 2018 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Do you like stories immersed in mythology? If so, what are your favorites? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design