Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Review: The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: January 19, 2010
Pages: 363
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance
Source:  Audiobook


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.





MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

I enjoyed this book a lot, but it didn't really wow me. I find books like this so hard to review. On one hand, I liked the book. On the other hand, I didn't love it. 

The one great thing that this book has going for it is the stellar concept behind the story. Kagawa has taken the common knowledge that people know about fae (or fey, faeries, etc.) and expanded on it in a unique way. I liked how she pulled from things that most people can relate with, such as characters from Shakespeare, and brought them to life in her own way. The concept alone had such potential to be a five-star read. Unfortunately, some of the execution dampened my enthusiasm. 

The flow of the story was very smooth and fast-paced. I think that this is where some of the issues that I have with the book stem from. While there was plenty of minor conflicts for the main character, the large conflict with the boss at the end of the book was over and done with in what felt like seconds. The book had been building up to this big showdown with the main villain, but it just felt like it petered out at the end. I feel that the book could have been lengthened to include more conflict. 

This brings me to the romance. I also feel like the book could have been lengthened to include more emotional interaction with the love interests in the book. The romance felt rushed and almost as if it came out of nowhere. It didn't feel believable. The main character was threatened by her love interest and they were guarded around each other. Then all of a sudden he is kissing her without really showing him soften to her at all. It just didn't work for me. Which is saddening because I was rooting for the romance in the background. Another thing in this book that really had so much more potential. In the end, I liked the romance, but it just wasn't convincing enough for my tastes. There was also the beginnings of a love triangle, though minuscule. I guess we will see if a love triangle blossoms forth in the next book?

The character development in the book didn't really have anything lacking, but I didn't feel like the characters touched my heart as much as I would have liked. I was definitely interested in the characters, but I felt like they could have been portrayed more intimately. Interest and adoration are completely different. While I did not dislike the characters, I also wasn't enamored by them. 

I felt that the world building was also another high point in this book. While part of this book occurs in the real world, a good portion of the book occurs in Fairyland. I liked Kagawa's portrayal of the Nevernever (a.k.a. Fairyland). Her portrayal is pretty spot on with how I think Fairyland would be from folklore. Mystical and sinister. Both sweet and sour. I liked seeing all the bargains made since that is a key element to the fae's trickery in folklore. I liked the focus on their world existing because of mortals belief in them and them being remembered. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I will continue the series. While the book kept me entertained, I felt there could have been some minor improvements to a few aspects of the story. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys books about the fae. 



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Try Something New Challenge
- Audiobook Challenge
Check out my 2018 Challenge Page to see my progress!


I have been in a very fae-type reading mood this year, but I haven't found enough books to satiate my lust for them. Do you have any recommendations for books about the fae?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design