Monday, August 27, 2018

Review: The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms #4) by Cinda Williams Chima

Title: The Crimson Crown
Series: Seven Realms #4
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: October 23, 2012
Pages: 598
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Source: Ebook, Audiobook

A thousand years ago, two young lovers were betrayed-Alger Waterlow to his death, and Hanalea, Queen of the Fells, to a life without love. 

Now, once again, the Queendom of the Fells seems likely to shatter apart. For young queen Raisa ana'Marianna, maintaining peace even within her own castle walls is nearly impossible; tension between wizards and Clan has reached a fevered pitch. With surrounding kingdoms seeking to prey on the Fells' inner turmoil, Raisa's best hope is to unite her people against a common enemy. But that enemy might be the person with whom she's falling in love.

Through a complicated web of lies and unholy alliances, former streetlord Han Alister has become a member of the Wizard Council of the Fells. Navigating the cut-throat world of blue blood politics has never been more dangerous, and Han seems to inspire hostility among Clan and wizards alike. His only ally is the queen, and despite the perils involved, Han finds it impossible to ignore his feelings for Raisa. Before long, Han finds himself in possession of a secret believed to be lost to history, a discovery powerful enough to unite the people of the Fells. But will the secret die with him before he can use it? 

A simple, devastating truth concealed by a thousand-year-old lie at last comes to light in this stunning conclusion to the Seven Realms series. 


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Google | BD | Wordery


MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

Sweet Hanalea, the ending to this series was so glorious! I loved every moment of it! I have been sitting here trying to put into words what I am feeling right now after finishing this book and the word that comes to mind is satisfied. 

One of the things that really drives this story is the expertly devised plot. I couldn't help but be completely invested in this story. I lost more than a few hours of sleep because I simply could not put this book down. Those are the types of stories that stay with you and this one certainly will. As a matter of fact, I have already purchased the first book in the follow-up series! I loved the author's use of foreshadowing. Just the right amount of information was given so that the reader knew them to be of importance, but not enough to give anything away too soon. The twists and turns in the plot were always surprising and satisfying. The pacing of the story was perfect. I was always left wanting more. The story was filled with action, political intrigue, romance, betrayal, and magic!

The world building is just as vibrant in this installment of the series. The author really has a way of pulling the reader into the story to experience the world. I felt completely immersed in this world the whole time. I really liked the addition and explanation of some the history of their world with regard to the Demon King and Hanalea. 

If you have ever wondered if it is possible to love characters to the point of exhaustion then I can tell you now that it is. My love for these characters grew with each and every book of this series. The character growth is exceptional! I loved rooting for the underdog. I loved that the character growth made me question good and evil with an antagonist's character journey. I loved all of the friendships and how many of the characters became family to each other. There was an underlying message of right and wrong, prejudice and understanding, and how a person's perspective and upbringing can play an important part in those things. Those that we thought were evil are not always bad, and those that we love and admire can have darkness in them. These characters really made a home in my heart.

The romance was all I could have asked for! I adore forbidden romances and this one does not disappoint! I loved how a good portion of the plot was based on Han trying to do everything in his power to marry Raisa. He vowed to basically change their world and how it is governed just so he could be with her. It was quite romantic. 

Overall, this book has everything you want in a fantasy! An elaborate world, compelling plot, characters that drive the story, and a thrilling romance. I could not have asked for a more perfect ending. I recommend this to all young adult fantasy fans! If you enjoyed the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes then you will love this as well! I can't wait to begin reading the spin-off series, Shattered Realms!



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Audiobook Challenge
- A Series A Month Challenge
Check out my 2018 Challenge Page to see my progress!


I really love book series and multiple book series within a single universe or world. One of my favorite examples of this is the Shadowhunters bok series by Cassandra Clare. I can devour those books and I love all of the different adventures and characters within the shared world. The Seven Realms series has a spin-off series set in the same world called Shattered Realms that I am dying to read next! Do you enjoy multiple series books that are part of a greater universe? If so, what are your favorites?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design