Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside The US

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a different question for bloggers to ponder over. 

This week's topic is "Books Set Outside the US". Being a Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Dystopian lover, I read many books that are not set in the United States. Many of the stories that I read are set in imaginary worlds. But for the purposes of this topic, I am going to only include REAL places within OUR world. Some of them are from the past, and some are from a supposed future of our world. Let's have a look.

1. Ink (Paper Gods #1)


by Amanda Sun

This story is set in Japan. I really loved this series because I learned so much about Japanese culture though the books in this series. There was so much culture shock for the main character, who is not from Japan. 

2. And I Darken (The Conquerors Saga #1)

by Kiersten White

While this book is a fantasy retelling, it is based around the Ottoman Empire. Prior to reading this, I actually did not know much about this time period in history. 

3. The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1)

by Alison Goodman

The Dark Days Club is a historical fantasy based in London. I was so engrossed by all of the historical information in this book. While being thorough in historical information, this did not take away from the story.

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1)

by Laini Taylor

This story starts out in Prague. While this is a fantasy and there are other worlds in this book, I really enjoyed the time in Prague. I was unfamiliar with the culture and this book gave me a small glimpse.

5. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

by Marissa Meyer

The Lunar Chronicles starts out in Beijing, in a futuristic version of it called New Beijing. I quite loved seeing this futuristic reality of the world. 

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

by J. K. Rowling

I don't think that this list would be complete without a mention of Harry Potter. Living in the United States, the United Kingdom is so exotic to me. There are so many differences in our cultures, and I loved exploring them through the Harry Potter books.

7. Blackhearts (Blackhearts #1)

by Nicole Castroman

The setting of this book is England. Oh, and the ocean.

8. A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire #1)

by Jessica Cluess

This is a book releasing in September that I am stoked to read. This historical fantasy is set in Victorian London. 

9. On the Edge of Gone

by Corinne Duyvis

This book in another that is on my TBR list. The setting of this book is in Amsterdam.

10. Ink and Bone (The Great Library #1)

by Rachel Caine

This story starts out in London, and then moves to Alexandria. In this book, a group of young people from different cultures come together at the Great Library in Alexandria. This book takes place in an alternate reality of our world.

So there you have it. Ten books that are set outside of the United States. What are some of your favorite titles that are set outside of the US? Have you read any of the titles listed above? Feel free to leave the link to your Top Ten Tuesday post!

1 comments:

  1. This is a great list! Ink and Bone is one of my newer favorite books-- I just read it a few weeks ago and have been busy pestering everyone I know to read it now. :) Loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, too. I really want to check out Ink-- I spent about six weeks in Tokyo a few years ago and loved it. Would love to revisit Japan in the pages of a novel. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design