Sunday, November 26, 2017

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #3
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publication Date: May 2, 2017
Pages: 705
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, New Adult
Source: Ebook

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BD | Kobo | Google

Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.


MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

I might have actually passed into the afterlife and am writing this review from there. This book destroyed me that much. This book had my heart pumping the whole time! (Until the end came and I may have died from shock, joy, surprise, everything.) I am just glad to know that the series isn't over and that there will be more coming. 

If there is one thing that Sarah J. Maas is good at, it is plot building. I wouldn't be surprised if she was fae herself, her magic being that over words and stories. The way that she weaves details into her series is genius. You may not think that something is important in the first book and then BAM! It shows up in the last book or throughout the rest of the series and it blows you away. She is a damn good architect of stories. She throws so many plot twists at you and there are surprises and she reveals them at the best moments. G-E-N-I-U-S, ya'll.

Another thing that she is great at is character development. I loved all my darlings in this series. Every single one of them. And one thing that I really adore about Maas's character development is that the side or background characters become so much more than that. They become the heart of the story, right along with the main characters. They aren't just there for filler or for a specific plot point. They belong there. Not in just one part of the story, but in the story as a whole. The way that I come to love all of the side characters and background characters proves what a great storyteller Maas is. 

I didn't think that the world building could get better in the third book of the series, but it did! Oh my goodness, we get to see some of the other courts and get to know their High Lords. I LOVED it! I really hope that we get to see more of the other courts in the next books. I am dying to know more! 

The last 30% of the book was where all shit broke loose and everything happens. It was awesome. The only thing that I didn't love was that we don't really find out what happens to the characters personally in the end. Everything is left open. I would have liked a little bit more finality in the end. Especially with all the "couples" are concerned. I just want all of my babies to have their happy endings. I guess that I have to hope that these things will be sorted out in the coming books.

Overall, this was magnificent! I couldn't have asked for anything better. I have the worst book hangover and I couldn't be happier about it. If you enjoyed the first two books of this series, then you'll love this one as well. I definitely recommend this book and this series as a whole. As with the other books in this series, I do recommend them for a mature audience since there are graphic sex scenes in these books. 

This series has some controversy regarding some of the explicit content within, yet being labeled as a young adult book. It is published by a children's publisher, but there are some very adult scenes within the book. What are your thoughts on this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design