Saturday, November 18, 2017

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Pages: 624
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, New Adult
Source: Ebook

Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | BD | Kobo | Google

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.


MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

I don't even know how to write this review. My heart is pounding, I am aching to take a breath, and this world and these characters are consuming me. This book was an epic piece of mastery.

I was enthralled by the first book in this series. I adored it. I loved the story, the characters, and the plot. Everything was perfect. I gave it 5 stars. While I wouldn't change that rating by any means after reading the second book, I feel like the second book deserves so many more stars! It was infinitely better than the first book.

The character growth, especially for Feyre, was phenomenal! I really felt for her and her plight after her experiences under the mountain in the first book. The had PTSD, she had no one to help her through it with Tamlin and Lucien running off all the time, and she had all her freedoms taken away from her by Tamlin. She went from being strong and madly in love to being broken and trapped in an abusive relationship. And as the book progressed she found her strength again and overcame her tormentors. She fell in love again and gained friends that cared about her and that she could trust. And they were all fighting for something dear to her heart.

And Rhysand, oh dear lord, Rhysand. Heavens, how I wish that I could just literally fall into a book and live in its glory. Rhysand's character growth was incredible as well. We get to see a deeper side of him. We get to see those that he cares about and what his heart is made of. We see just how much he has sacrificed for his people and those that he loves. Including Feyre. Rhysand's background leading up to where he is at the end of this book is very touching. He went through so much in his life and overcame so much. His character is so inspiring. 

I loved all the new characters. Mor, Cassian, Amren, and Azriel warm my heart. I loved getting to know each of them. The story truly shone brightly because of these characters. I liked Tarquin as well. I really hope that things aren't ruined between him and the Night Court forever in the end. He seemed a genuine soul. And I am kind of shipping Amren and Varian. =P

The plot in this book way surpasses that of the last book. The spectrum is so much broader now and it is kind of mind-blowing. The plot is so much thicker than what we see in the first book. There are layers upon layers of complexity. The way that the characters are woven into the plot is nothing short of magical. There were so many surprises that I hadn't worked out. I was definitely surprised at the extent of the mortal queens and their allegiances. I was even surprised at the mortal queen that helped Feyre and Rhys, though her fate was sad. I was super surprised to see Feyre's sisters and at what happened to them. The whole end of the book was like a mind warp. 

I loved the romance. I loved how Feyre and Rhys grew closer as time went by, even though he already knew that she as his mate. And considering, he showed incredible restraint. Rhys truly cares for Feyre and he gives her all the freedoms she desires, while still protecting her. When she accepted the mating bond I was so ecstatic. I felt all was right with the world. 

Overall, I was blown away by this book. It was everything that I hoped it would be and more. I really did have high expectations, and they were all met and surpassed. I can't even fathom my expectation for the third book. I am definitely going to be reading it! I highly recommend this series, but for mature audiences. This is definitely an adult book as some of the romantic scenes are quite explicit. 

This series has some controversy regarding some of the explicit content within, yet being labeled as a young adult book. It is published by a children's publisher, but there are some very adult scenes within the book. What are your thoughts on this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design