Friday, January 8, 2016

Review: End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days #3) by Susan Ee




Title: End of Days
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #3
Author: Susan Ee
Publication Date: May 12, 2015
Pages: 344
Genres: young adult, paranormal, fantasy, dystopia, supernatural
Source: Amazon Kindle Unlimited
Rating: 4

Synopsis
End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy. After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

My Review
End of Days is a good ending to the story, but I was a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong though- it WAS a good book from beginning to end. I think that it was just lacking in some areas that if built more upon would make this book glow like the sun. All in all, I would absolutely recommend this. The story is amazing and original, and it is just a great read from beginning to end.

What I liked
The story was solid and kept building nicely. I was surprised by the ending. I honestly couldn't put together what was going to happen while reading, so that's awesome. I hate predictability. 

The descriptions regarding the Pit were so vivid. Susan really did a remarkable job with details. I felt like I was right there with them when they went to the Pit. Very graphic, very disturbing, and very believable. I just loved it!

The writing in general is fantastic! There aren't any awkward dialogues, everything is worded well, the action is balanced out well...it is just great writing. 

I liked the glimpse that we got of Beliel. It is so sad in a way. I actually felt sorry for him. 

What I didn't like
The epilogue was kind of disappointing. I was envisioning something a little more involved than what was there. It wasn't a terrible ending, but it could have been so much more than what is was. 

I was kind of expecting some amazing, heroic fight scene at the end from Penryn. Something noble and epic. She did kick some ass, but there wasn't one point in particular that felt overly significant. I did admire Raffe's sacrifice at the end, but I was wanting so see something similar from Penryn. Saving her sister perhaps, or even defending Raffe somehow. 

The fact that there are so many unanswered questions in this book is pretty much the only reason that I didn't rate this a 5. Like I said previously, the story is solid, but the missing details really take away from the story being told. You go into this book thinking that all of your questions will be answered, but they just aren't expanded upon. There may be subtle explanations here and there, but nothing that fully explains all the questions that you have in your mind after reading Angelfall and World After. 

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this series but I agree, many unanswered questions. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved the series, but I just couldn't get over all the questions that I had on my mind after reading End of Days.

      Delete
  2. I think that the main problem with this book is that it was supposed to be number 3 in a series of 5 books. For whatever reason, the author cut it short and I think the last book suffered for it, unfortunately. I agree with pretty much everything you've said here!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that it was intended to be a series of five books. That really does make a lot of sense with all of the unanswered questions in End of Days. What I wouldn't give to have read the other two books!

      Delete

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design