Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review: Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee



Title: Angelfall
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Author: Susan Ee
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Pages: 288
Genres: young adult, fantasy, paranormal, dystopia, supernatural
Source:  Amazon Kindle Unlimited
Rating: 4.5

Synopsis
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My Review
This book is glorious! This is one of those books that you just cannot stop reading once you start. Everything that happens is so compelling that you can't help but keep reading. The premise is engaging, and the plot isn't predictable. There aren't any angel cliches, so this take on angels is fascinating and well worth reading. I've never read anything like it. I will recommend this to everyone I know!

What I liked
I loved that this book was not predictable. Yes, there are angels, but the story falls into something that I just did not see coming. It feels like a book chock full of different genres- paranormal, dystopia, horror, and urban fantasy. It is all stuck into an amazingly awesome read. This book definitely does not disappoint. 

I loved the heroine. Penryn isn't a damsel in distress. She is not a heroine that kicks ass because of magical powers that she did not she had, or without any prior fighting skills. Penryn is determined, loyal, and fierce. She is the perfect strong female character.

The development of Raffe's character was much better than I was expecting since he is an angel. I really love his personality. He is sarcastic and witty and seems so genuine. 

The dialogue between Penryn and Raffe was written so wonderfully. I love the way that they came together in this book. There is only a hint at romance, and that is all that is needed. You can sense and feel the emotions lingering and growing between them. The loyalty to each other becomes greater as the story continues. It is amazing to see the transformation from It is so tragic in a way since it is mentioned in the book that relationships are forbidden between angels and "daughters of man". 

What I didn't like

The only bit of constructive criticism that I have is that I wish it could have been longer. I would have loved to have seen things from Raffe's perspective. A deeper glimpse into the angels would have been amazing in this.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you've said!! Angelfall was one of my favorite series from last year! I absolutely adore Raffe! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly a great series. It fast became a new favorite! And I adore Raffe as well! =]

    ReplyDelete

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design