Thursday, October 21, 2021

Review Tour: Varsity Captain (Varsity #4) by Ginger Scott

 

NOW AVAILABLE
𝕍𝕒𝕣𝕤𝕚𝕥𝕪 𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕒𝕚𝕟 by Ginger Scott, a new mature YA coming-of-age sports romance, is LIVE! One-Click yours and don’t forget to add it to your TBR!



Title: Varsity Captain
Series: Varsity #4
Author: Ginger Scott
Release Date: October 15, 2021

June Mabee is a lot of things. 
She’s the girl next door.
She’s the best friend I ever had.
She was my first kiss, as awkward as it was.
And she’s the last person I should have feelings for. Ever.
Two years ago, I cut all ties with her because I had no choice. No more late night phone calls, no hellos or goodbyes, not even a passing smile. I left her to wonder what happened to the us we used to be. We were best friends, and then suddenly…we weren’t. And I know it hurt. But the truth would have hurt her more, and being anything with June would have destroyed my family. 
For a while, we managed to exist a hundred feet apart with no connection at all. She changed schools. I kept busy. We existed, apart. But no matter how hard I tried to not think about her, I just couldn’t stay away from the funny, adventurous, steadfast girl with wild green eyes. 
She’s back. We’re seniors now. We’ve grown—all of us. And while I might be different, she’s different too. She takes risks, stands up for herself and doesn’t back down. The more we’re forced together, the more I miss her. But for June to be a part of my story, I need to tell her the whole truth, everything that happened. And I’m not sure any of us are ready for that. 


REVIEW

Disclaimer: I received this book at no cost from the publisher/author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. I am leaving a voluntary review and all opinions are my own. 

When I first read Varsity Heartbreaker I was completely enamored with Lucas Fuller. Varsity Heartbreaker is told from the heroine's point of view but I could tell that there was so much going on behind the scenes when it came to her love interest, Lucas Fuller. I was so delighted when I saw that Ginger Scott had decided to bring us Lucas's point of view. 

I am fairly certain that this book is considered a companion novel though I suppose it could be read all on its own without having read Varsity Heartbreaker. I definitely think that it would be beneficial and more enjoyable if you read Varsity Heartbreaker first though. Since I have read the entire series already, for the purpose of this review I will be reviewing it as a companion novel and not a standalone. 

First of all, I just adore Lucas. He really did have so much on his shoulders and he was trying to make everyone else happy. He sacrificed the one thing that was most important to him, his friendship with his next-door neighbor June, to satisfy his parents and ultimately pay the price for their mistakes. After his father has an affair and his mother heads into a downward spiral because of it, Lucas's life changes. He changes to cope with everything happening in his life and I don't think that he liked the person that he became. He ghosted his best friend and lived the next two years trying to please his parents. His father has been trying to live vicariously through him since he received an injury playing football in college and he pushes Lucas to the extreme in football. Lucas has other dreams though and he struggles with trying to please his dad and hiding his true passion to go to MIT when all his dad wants is for him to go to Tennessee and play football. He is also concerned about his mother's mental state and has been sort of looking out for her since his father's affair. June had switched to a private school but circumstances lead her to return to public school again her senior year. With June so close, Lucas is having trouble keeping his feelings under wraps. Everything in his life culminates and Lucas has to make tough decisions and ultimately decide if he is going to live his life for someone else or for himself. 

I really loved the emotional aspect of the story. It was so easy to slip into Lucas's shoes and feel his torment over the circumstances in his life. The author does an excellent job of making the reader empathize with Lucas. 

This book centers around Lucas, but I would have loved to see more of the other characters as well. Tory is a big part of Lucas's life and while we do get to see a lot of him in this book, his character didn't feel as tangible as Lucas's character. 

I really thought that the plot of the story was orchestrated quite well. All the bits and pieces of the story were just where they needed to be and came together nicely in the end. The author did a great job of creating conflict and mystery. The storytelling is excellent. The story flows perfectly in a steady rhythm that makes the reader feel completely comfortable. I have really love that quality in all of the books that I have read from Ginger Scott. I always know that I am going to get a quality story that is going to tick off all the boxes for me. 

Overall, this was an excellent addition to the series that added a lot of value, especially for Lucas's character. If you are a fan of this series then I highly recommend adding this book to your TBR. If you haven't read the series yet then I would start with Varsity Heartbreaker, the first book in the series. If you are a fan of mature young adult stories with incredible writing and wonderful characters then you'll want to get in on this series!


Find more books by Ginger Scott here: www.littlemisswrite.com

2 comments:

  1. There aren't many books I know that go back and write the story in the male's pov, I have to check these stories out! I've read one other book by Ginger and really enjoyed it, I need to read these books now!
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't see a lot of authors go back to include the male POV into the series. I do love books that are told in dual POV though so I can get both perspectives at the same time. I've enjoyed all of Ginger's books that I have read. Let me know if you pick up any more of her books. There are still many that I need to knock off my TBR. =)

      Delete

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design