Monday, September 17, 2018

Review: Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1) by Annette Marie

Title: Three Mages and a Margarita
Series: The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1
Author: Annette Marie
Publisher: Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.
Published: September 14, 2018
Pages: 312
Genres: New Adult, Urban Fantasy
Source: Ebook


Broke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked me to do a trial shift instead of an interview — to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete dickheads, and I was an asshole right back. That's the definition of fitting in, right?

I expected to get thrown out on my ass. Instead, they… offered me the job?

It turns out this place isn't a bar. It's a guild. And the three cocky guys I drenched with a margarita during my trial? Yeah, they were mages. Either I'm exactly the kind of takes-no-shit bartender this guild needs, or there's a good reason no one else wants to work here.

So what's a broke girl to do? Take the job, of course — with a pay raise.

Note: The three mages are definitely sexy, but this series isn't a reverse harem. It's 100% fun, sassy, fast-paced urban fantasy.


Goodreads | Amazon

Only $.99 on Amazon right now! Or FREE with Kindle Unlimited!



MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

This book was a glorious adventure and it was just what I needed right now! Annette Marie has broken the mold and shattered my expectations yet again. Just when I think that she is super clever for coming up with imaginative, complex fantasy worlds she releases another and I am swept away again. If you are as clever as she is, you'll jump on her bandwagon and ride the magical waves of urban fantasy with us.

So, yeah. Marie creates such captivating fantasy worlds. Not only is this world (and all of her other fantasy worlds) creative, but it is also damn intriguing. There are different magical systems that are detailed and just plain awesome. There is a magical governing body, magic guilds, and supernatural creatures. There are so many fun and compelling elements that are crafted into this world. There was clearly a lot of thought and research put into this world. 

This book was different from Marie's other books in that it has a self-contained plot. Marie has said that this series will be episodic. So while elements of the series will carry over to other books, each book of the series will have its own story. While I typically tend to stick to book series that have plots that encompass the entire series as opposed to single books in a series, the changeup in style did not negatively impact my reading at all. So if you are hesitant to try the series because of this, I would urge you to still read this book! I was still able to appreciate the story. The story did seem much more fast-paced than Marie's other books. And while some serious things do occur in the book, the overall feeling was much lighter than her other books. I think the lighter feel and the fast pacing works well with the self-contained plot. 

The characters in this series were a true delight! I fell in love with these characters so quickly! Like, crazy fast! The main character is spunky, feisty, and fierce. I immediately liked her. Her three mage companions were just as likable. They each bring a different flavor into the story. And no, this isn't a reverse harem story so put that out of your head. (But if that's your thing then good on you. It just doesn't apply here. :)) And if I am being honest, I loved not having any inclination which way the romance in the story would go. With so many options, my mind was whirling! 

I also really appreciated the underlying themes hidden in the story. Friendship, trust, self-reliance, prejudice, and conviction all show up in the story in one way or another. 

Overall, Annette Marie is a storytelling Queen and you are mad if you do not read this! Pick this book up and fall into a world you'll want to stay in with characters that you'll want to stay with. This book will make you laugh, will make you root for the heroine, will give you the hella hot mage feels and will make you crave more stories from Annette Marie! And while you are at is, pick up her Steel & Stone series, her spin-off Spell Weaver series, and/or her Red Winter series. Once you read one of Marie's books you will be under her spell! I am so stoked to read the next book in this series!



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Try Somethhing New Challenge
- 2018 New Release Challenge
- Let's Read Indie Challenge
Check out my 2018 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Annette Marie is one of my all-time favorite authors! This book has been out for three days and I have already read the book twice through fully and skimmed it a third time. Do you read indie books or have a favorite indie author? I'd love recommendations!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design