Sunday, July 29, 2018

Review: The Hands of Time (Elementals #5) by Michelle Madow

Title: The Hands of Time
Series: Elementals #5
Author: Michelle Madow
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Published: November 25, 2016
Pages: 288
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Paranormal
Source: Ebook


Time is running out. War will be waged. Sacrifices will be made.

Months ago, Nicole Cassidy’s life was turned upside-down when she discovered that she was a witch descended from the Greek gods. She and the four other witches gifted with elemental powers fought all over the world—and in another dimension—to battle the supporters of the Titans and fight for the people they love.

Now the Elementals must stop Typhon—the most dangerous monster in the world—from rising, and seal the portal to the dangerous prison world of Kerberos. But they won’t be able to do that without facing their hardest decision yet… a sacrifice so great that it may be one they’re not willing to make.

Get ready for the stunning, action-packed conclusion to the bestselling Elementals series, with twists and turns that you’ll never see coming!



MY REVIEW
This review MAY contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk.

I remember reading the first four books in this series and liking them well enough. This book, the final book of this series, did not have the same effect on me that the first books did. I don't know if I have grown as a reader or if my expectations have just become fastidious and refined over time. Perhaps both. While I was glad to find out the conclusion of this series, I did not much enjoy the journey.

The most positive thing about this book is the premise. The author has molded mythology with the supernatural to develop her own brand of fantasy. In this series, witches are descendants of the ancient Greek gods and goddesses. So this touches on both mythology elements and those of magic. I think that this is very creative, and I have not read or heard of any other books that have these combined elements. I am always a stickler for creative story foundations.

The entire book felt too rushed. The characters were always rushing off to do things without much thought. There is not really much time to get to know the characters or have any character growth with so much action. The characters felt very flat and I did not connect with any of them. I was reading this story, but I did not care what happened because the characters were so dull. 

The dialogue was very stiff. It sounded more like a textbook than people actually having conversations in today's society. Some of the words that were used sounded too proper and many of the dialogues felt forced. And every time some of the characters did something, there was always a point made that these happenings are told to the other characters. I felt that it was unnecessary to continuously declare that character A explained to character B everything that happened to her while they were apart. 

The story was way too predictable. The foreshadowing was not executed very well at all. I could see what was about to happen from a mile away. The storytelling felt very amateur. 

The final scene at the end of the book was very emotionless. Everything had been building up to this final moment, and then the moment just came and went. It happened in the blink of an eye and there was no struggle at the end at all. I was rather disappointed. I was expecting more of an ending. 

Overall, I have to give snaps for the premise but the storytelling needs some work. This book felt like fluff to me. The characters were lifeless and I felt bored with the story. If you are a fan of fast-paced fluffy reads then this may suit you, but it did not work for me. I will still give Madow's other books a shot and see where they will take me. This is her first series, so I can only imagine that her writing skills will improve the more she writes. 



THIS BOOK CONTRIBUTED TO THESE 2018 READING CHALLENGES
- Beat the Backlist Challenge
- Let's Read Indie Challenge
- Finishing the Series
Check out my 2018 Challenge Page to see my progress!


Does your taste in books change over time? Have you ever enjoyed the start of a series and then wasn't as impressed by the final book? Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Layout graphics by Fangirl Faction Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design